Chapped, peeling, flaky lips aren’t fun to look at, but they feel even worse. Fortunately, a DIY lip scrub featuring benefit-rich coconut oil, honey and chocolate (!) is all you need to return your lips to a smooth, hydrated state.
Just like your skin, your lips need exfoliating, too. If you get rid of the dead skin often found on the surface of your lips, it will bring out your fresh, supple skin. This will make the lips soft and smooth helping cosmetics, such as lipstick, lip liner and lip gloss, stay on the lips far better. Exfoliating the lips also helps provide hydration by creating more moisture to the lips.
Making a DIY lip scrub is so easy, saves time and ensures that only the best ingredients are used. Everything you need for your DIY lip scrub is probably right in your cupboard. You can use most anything with a grainy-like texture like sugar, salt, coffee grounds and even used coffee grounds.
Let’s start by getting together everything you need. Grab a small bowl that is good for mixing ingredients, such as a ceramic or glass bowl, a ¼ cup measuring cup, measuring spoons, a fork and a regular spoon.
Next, measure out each ingredient listed below and set aside. You are going to love the softness and nourishment that these ingredients provide!
Lip scrub is similar to the body scrubs you are familiar with, typically made up of a gritty substance. While store-bought body scrubs are probably unsafe if ingested, lip scrubs are usually safe and are generally made to taste sweet, enhancing the scrubbing pleasure.
So let’s start combining ingredients. Place the sugar and the superfood-blessed cacao nibs into the bowl and blend with a spoon or fork. Make sure it’s well blended using either the fork or spoon.
I have chosen honey as part of this recipe because it’s full of anti-aging antioxidants to help your lips have a more youthful appearance. Simply add the honey to the dry ingredients and blend well.
Then add the olive oil and coconut oil. Adding natural oils like rosehip, olive, coconut or grapeseed oil also acts as a moisturizer for the lips — in addition, the oils will protect your lips from the heat or cold. Stir again making sure everything is evenly blended.
Next, transfer to a small glass jar with a lid. You may want to label your DIY lip scrub … and keeping it in the fridge can help preserve it.
But before you put it in the fridge, let’s use it and exfoliate those lips! To use, apply a small amount with a soft toothbrush or washcloth to the lips. Gently massage in a circular motion, for about 20 seconds. Rinse and apply your DIY lip moisturizer or your favorite lip balm, such as my Homemade Lavender Mint Lip Balm. Enjoy the feeling of those super soft lips!
DIY Lip Scrub for Smooth Lips
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar or date sugar
- 1 cup local honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon finely ground cacao nibs
- Grab a small bowl that is good for mixing ingredients, such as a ceramic or glass bowl, a ¼ cup measuring cup, measuring spoons, a fork and a regular spoon.
- Measure out each ingredient listed below and set aside.
- Place the sugar and the superfood-blessed cacao nibs into the bowl and blend well with a spoon or fork.
- Add the honey to the dry ingredients and blend well.
- Add the olive oil and coconut oil.
- Stir again making sure everything is evenly blended.
- Transfer to a small glass jar with a lid.
- To use, apply a small amount with a soft toothbrush or washcloth to the lips. Gently massage in a circular motion, for about 20 seconds. Rinse and apply a lip moisturizer or balm.
- Store in refrigerator when not in use.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &