Apple pie, apple crumble, apple galette — wait, what? While pies, crumbles and even tarts are widely known and baked, apple galette recipes are less common among the average cook. It might be because the name sounds unfamiliar or they just look so gorgeous, it’s hard to think you can whip up a galette in the comfort of your own kitchen.
But, my friends, you absolutely can. This nutrition-rich apple galette recipe will knock the socks off anyone you serve it to, including yourself!
What Is a Galette?
Before we begin baking, however, you might be thinking to yourself, “What the heck is a galette?” Good question! A galette is very similar to a tart. Tarts are made of a straight-sided pastry that’s filled either before or after baking, and lacks a top crust.
Galettes are less restrictive. The term “galette” is derived from the French language, and they were definitely on to something when they invented the galette.
Technically, a galette is any flat, free-form pastry. Galettes are free spirits: They don’t need a pastry ring or pie pan holding them down or giving them shape. Often, the sides of a galette are also folded up and over the pastry sides to contain the juices of whatever yummy filling is inside it. But really, there are no rules when it comes to galette recipes. As long as they’re stuffed with something delicious, galettes will turn into a delicious, golden-brown dessert.
How to Make a Gluten-Free Apple Galette
Good news for those with gluten sensitivities: this apple galette recipe is totally gluten-free! Thanks to the sprouted flour and sprouted almonds, you can enjoy this dessert without fearing for your belly.
Because the flour is sprouted, not only is it more nutritious, but it’s also easier to digest. This apple galette is also refined sugar-free. You’ll get all the sweets you need from the maple sugar, which means no sugar crashes to worry about later. This galette has it all! Ready to bake?
Start by processing the flour ingredients in a food processor and setting aside.
Next, process the first three ingredients of the galette crust mixture. Add in the butter, while pulsing until well combined. Then, add in the ice water, little by little, while pulsing until a thick dough is formed.
Roll the dough into a disc, and wrap with saran wrap. Stick in the refrigerator for 2 hours, then preheat your oven to 400 F.
Remove the apple galette crust and roll the dough into a 10–12 inch circle. Coat with some of the flour mixture. Arrange the apples in a circle, then top with more of the flour mixture.
Fold the pie crust over the apple mixture and brush with coconut cream. Then, sprinkle with more maple sugar.
Refrigerate it all for 25 minutes.
Bake the apple galette for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the crust is golden.
Gluten-Free Apple Galette Recipe
- 2–3 apples of choice, thinly sliced
- Flour Mixture
- ⅓ cup sprouted almonds
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free sprouted flour blend (brown rice, oat, sorghum)
- 5 tablespoons maple sugar, divided
- Galette Crust
- 2½ cups gluten-free sprouted flour blend (brown rice, oat, sorghum)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon maple sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted grass-fed butter, chilled and cubed
- ¼ cup ice water
- Process the flour mixture and set aside.
- Process the first three ingredients of the galette crust mixture.
- Add in the butter, while pulsing until well combined.
- Add in ice water, little by little, while pulsing until thick dough is formed.
- Roll dough into a disc and wrap with saran wrap.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Remove the galette crust and roll dough into a 10–12 inch circle.
- Coat with some of the flour mixture.
- Arrange apples in a circle, then top with more of the flour mixture.
- Fold pie crust over apple mixture.
- Brush with coconut cream and sprinkle with more maple sugar.
- Refrigerate for 25 minutes.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until crust is golden.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &