1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 cups Pecorino Romano, grated
- 3–4 eggs, whisked
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup cassava root flour
- 1 cup gluten-free crackers, crushed into fine crumbs
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2–3 cups tomato sauce
- 4 slices buffalo mozzarella
- 4 cups zucchini noodles or gluten-free noodles
- 4 basil leaves for garnish
- 1 lemon, quartered for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In an oven-safe pan over medium heat, warm avocado oil.
- Meanwhile, place the eggs, cassava flour and crackers in three separate bowls large enough to dredge the chicken.
- Add the grated pecorino, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper to the crackers . Mix until well-combined.
- Dredge the chicken breasts one-by-one on all sides. In this order: cassava, eggs, cheese mixture.
- With tongs, place dredged chicken breasts into heated oil in the pan.
- Sauté each side until chicken is golden brown but not fully cooked. Remove from heat.
- To the pan, add tomato sauce so the chicken breasts are completely surrounded.
- Top each chicken breast with mozzarella, and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees for each breast.
- Serve over zucchini noodles, and top with fresh basil and lemon juice.
Did you know that a chicken parmesan recipe is not commonly made or consumed in Italy? That’s right, chicken parmesan is actually an Italian-American dish.
In Italy, they stick with vegetarian-friendly eggplant parmesan, also known as eggplant parmigiana, but when Italian immigrants came to the United States, meat was much cheaper compared to the prices in Europe; that’s when chicken and veal became the new stars of this well-known classic. (1)
What about this recipe? This baked chicken parmesan recipe has all the flavor you love — without any of the gluten!
A Gluten-Free Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Are you ready for the best chicken parmesan recipe minus the gluten? Chicken parmesan recipes are usually pretty similar and contain the same key ingredients: chicken, bread crumbs, tomato sauce and cheese. (2)
So just like any great chicken parmesan recipe, this one has a breaded chicken breast topped with tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese.
However, with this recipe, instead of wheat flour and bread crumbs, you’re going to use cassava root flour and some crushed up gluten-free crackers combined with sheep’s milk Pecorino Romano and spices to coat the chicken breasts. Don’t worry, it’s going to taste just as delicious as usual!
While chicken parmesan is typically served with pasta, I recommend trying this chicken parmesan recipe with naturally gluten-free zucchini noodles, or another gluten-free noodle you enjoy.
Chicken Parmesan Recipe Nutrition Facts
- 680 calories
- 49 grams protein
- 39 grams fat
- 32 grams carbohydrates
- 6.8 grams fiber
- 7 grams sugar
- 317 milligrams cholesterol
- 1,668 milligrams sodium
- 10,843 IUs vitamin A (over 100 percent DV)
- 797 milligrams calcium (61 percent DV)
- 24 milligrams vitamin C (27 percent DV)
- 4.3 milligrams iron (24 percent DV)
- 269 milligrams potassium (5.7 percent DV)
- 4 micrograms vitamin K (3.3 percent DV)
How to Make This Chicken Parmesan Recipe
You love ordering it when you’re out at an Italian restaurant, so why not try making this recipe for chicken parmesan in your own kitchen? As with most easy chicken parmesan recipes, this one only takes a little bit over an hour, and that includes cooking time.
First, you’ll coat the chicken breasts in the cassava root flour, followed by the egg wash and finally, the “bread crumb” and cheese mixture. Then you’ll briefly cook the breasts on the stove top before putting them into the oven with the tomato sauce and cheese.
After some baking time, everything will meld together beautifully, and you can put your chicken and sauce on top of gluten-free noodles. Is your mouth watering yet?
To get started with this parmesan chicken recipe, have your oven preheating to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, in an oven-safe pan over medium heat, warm up the avocado oil.
Meanwhile, place the eggs, cassava flour and crackers into three separate bowls large enough to dredge the chicken.
To the bowl of crackers, add the grated Pecorino, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.
Mix until well-combined.
Dredge one chicken breast in the cassava flour.
Next, dip it in the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides.
Last, coat each side with the cracker crumb-cheese mixture.
With tongs, place the dredged chicken breast into the hot, oiled pan. Repeat this for each breast.
Cook each side until the chicken is golden brown but not fully cooked. Remove from heat.
Add the tomato sauce to the pan so the chicken breasts are completely surrounded. Top each chicken breast with mozzarella cheese.
Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Top with fresh basil and lemon juice.
Serve on top of zucchini noodles.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &