- ½ cup butter, softened
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⅓ cups gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3-4 tablespoons poppyseeds
- Zest of 2 lemons
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup goat milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolks one at time and mix well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients, poppyseed and lemon zest.
- Combine all mixtures but add them together slowly, mixing continuously.
- Add yogurt, lemon juice and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form and fold them into muffin batter.
- Fill lined muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Just in time for Easter, these Healthy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins need to be made in your kitchen. They’re delicious for breakfast or dessert and are extremely easy to make with nutritious ingredients.
Using goat milk yogurt adds protein and creaminess and is usually better tolerated by the body than cow’s milk. Using gluten-free flour also keeps this Paleo-friendly and means those with a gluten intolerance can enjoy it, too. Let’s get these lemon poppyseed muffins in the oven.
Speaking of the oven, preheat it to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, cream together the milk and coconut sugar — so much better than refined white sugar.
Then slowly add in the egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Then, in a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and add in the poppyseed and lemon zest. Please use fresh lemon zest — it gives these lemon poppyseed muffins their distinctive flavor and tastes so good!
Next, combine all the mixtures together — slowly, stirring continuously, letting the ingredients meld together without overworking the batter.
Add in the yogurt, lemon juice and vanilla to the whole mix. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, and then fold these into the batter. The eggs keep these healthy lemon poppyseed muffins light and fluffy.
Finally, fill the lined muffin tins and bake for 20–25 minutes.
How simple was it to make these lemon poppyseed muffins? They’re excellent to serve at brunch, on special occasion or to take into the office — or just to enjoy with the family! I know you’ll love these lemon poppyseed muffins as much as I do.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &