- 2 pounds ground bison
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 jalepeno, deseeded and chopped
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Saute onions, garlic and bison in a saucepan over medium heat. Once meat is no longer pink, add to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker and mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 8–10 hours.
One of the most valuable tools in my kitchen is a slow cooker. Whether you like cooking batches of meals on the weekends for the busy days to come or you prefer prepping the morning of, nothing else makes it quite so easy to prepare delicious and nutritious homemade meals with little hands-on time.
This bison chili is a slow cooker favorite in my house. Making chili this way allows all the ingredients to meld together throughout the day, resulting in tender vegetables and a rich, flavorful sauce.
Using grass-fed bison meat keeps this low in fat and adds extra protein, while two varieties of beans provide extra nutritional punch and texture. Throw in some veggies, sauce and seasonings, and you’re left with a bison chili that will have your family drooling.
Best of all, it’s so easy to make! Let’s get started on this potluck-worthy dish.
Begin by chopping up your vegetables. Onions, garlic cloves, bell peppers, carrots, celery and jalapeno will add nutrients to your chili and keep things tasting zesty. You can also prep these overnight and keep in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble the bison chili, too.
Finally, ladle into bowls and enjoy. This hearty bison chili is great for any time of year, including game days or busy days; just assemble in the morning and come back to a hot dinner.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &