But many sweet potato recipes are often relegated to a side dish, the potatoes take center stage at the table in my Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Casserole recipe.
Gluten- and meat-free, this is a healthy, delicious alternative to the calorie-packed versions, made with all-natural ingredients — there are no canned potatoes here! It’s perfect to serve around the holiday season or anytime you’re feeding a crowd. And while it takes a few hours to prepare, the amount of hands-on time is so minimal, you’ll almost feel guilty about how easy this Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Casserole is — almost.Ready to get your sweet potato fill? Let’s get started.
Preheat the oven to 400 F while you prick the sweet potatoes with a fork. This ensures the insides remain fluffy while baking and keep the potatoes from exploding in the oven. Place them in a baking dish and bake ’em for 60–90 minutes, until they’re cooked through and tender.When the potatoes are done, lower the oven temperature to 350 F — we’ll be back soon. After letting the sweet potatoes cool off, peel the skins then place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
Let out any aggression while you mash them up, then add in the coconut sugar, butter, coconut milk, vanilla, eggs and salt. Mix everything together until all ingredients are blended together.
Spread the mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Now it’s time to get our hands dirty with this sweet potato casserole.
In a small mixing bowl, mix 1/2 cup of sugar with the gluten-free flour. Add 1/4 cup of butter and combine the ingredients with your hands until it resembles a crumble. Stir in the pecans. This is my favorite part of this dish.
Spread the crumble over the sweet potatoes and bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.
This Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Casserole is one of my favorite dishes to bring to holiday potlucks. It’s always a crowd favorite, and it really is so simple to make.
You can get the kids helping in the kitchen with this recipe, too. They’d be great at peeling the potatoes (once they’ve cooled) or preparing the crumble.
I hope this sweet potato casserole becomes a holiday favorite in your home like it is in mine!
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1–1/4 cup coconut sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, divided and softened
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/3 cup Paleo flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Prick the sweet potatoes using a fork and slice sweet potatoes lengthwise.
- Place facedown on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 45 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, place them in a large mixing bowl, and mash them with a fork or potato masher. Add 3/4 cup coconut sugar, 1/2 cup butter, and the coconut milk, eggs, vanilla and salt. Mix until well blended.
- spread mixture evenly into a baking dish or cast iron skillet.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix 1/2 cup coconut sugar and the flour. Add 1/4 cup butter and combine the ingredients with your hands until it resembles a crumble. Stir in the pecans.
- Spread the crumble mixture over the sweet potatoes and bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &