Have you enjoyed Tuscan pasta before? It’s an easy way of saying lots of veggies tossed in a flavorful homemade pasta sauce. In fact, if you head to the grocery store, you’ll see a variety of jarred sauces with some variation of the words on them.
But you’re in luck, because my Tuscan Pasta Recipe is packed with your favorite fresh veggies and tossed in a light tomato sauce. Served over a bed of brown rice pasta, this Tuscan-inspired recipe is is meat-free, gluten-free and vegan-friendly — it’s the perfect recipe to feed a crowd.
Who needs Italy when you can make this pasta?
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, mix tomatoes, tomato sauce, coconut sugar and seasonings in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Use the downtime to get that brown rice pasta ready. I love this alternative to wheat pasta, especially if you’re avoiding gluten.Use a medium-sized pot to cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
While your sauce is still simmering, heat the coconut oil in a separate saucepan. While you might be tempted to use olive oil, coconut oil, which is loaded with health benefits, is a better option over higher heat.
Then add in the zucchini, mushrooms and onions. Cook until the veggies are tender but still crisp. Next, add the tomato sauce mixture to the vegetables. Once those are all mixed up, toss in the pasta and coat it with the sauce and veggies.
Adding some fresh herbs, like parsley or basil, can really take this Tuscan pasta recipe over the edge. If you can tolerate dairy, a little sprinkle of fresh mozzarella or feta is delicious too. The best part about this recipe is that it’s easily customizable. Add a little spinach, replace the ‘shrooms with bell peppers — make this Tuscan pasta your own, because it’s a recipe you’ll want to return to over and over again.
Gluten-Free Tuscan Pasta Recipe
- one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- one 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 ounces brown rice pasta
- Mix tomatoes, tomato sauce, coconut sugar, and seasonings in skillet over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While mixture is simmering, using a medium pot, cook pasta in boiling water as directed on package. Drain and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a separate saucepan. Add zucchini, mushrooms and onions. Cook until vegetables are tender but still crisp.
- Add to tomato sauce mixture and then add in pasta mixture. Stir until well combined, plate and serve.