Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Few things are as cozy and comforting as homemade soup, no matter what time of year, but people are always scared off of making it from scratch because it seems like a long, labor-intensive meal. I’m here to show you how easy it is to make a delicious, good-for-you butternut squash soup recipe that you can get on the dinner table tonight.
While there are many butternut squash soup recipes — such as roasted butternut squash soup — this one is healthy and easy to make. So read on to learn how to make my classic butternut squash soup.
The Perfect Fall Soup
This soup, made with vitamin-rich butternut squash, will turn you into a soup convert, and it’s perfect for autumn. Utilizing fall staples like apples, butternut squash and nutmeg, it makes for a delicious, creamy butternut squash soup recipe.
OK, the ingredients sound delicious, but is butternut squash soup healthy for you? You bet!
This healthy butternut squash soup recipe is full of vitamins and minerals thanks to the key ingredients:
- Butternut squash: Rich in vitamins A, C and E, along with manganese, potassium and magnesium, butternut squash can help boost the immune system, reduce inflammation, aid weight loss and more.
- Apple: Providing antioxidants, this anti-inflammatory fruit is good for your heart, gut, waistline and more.
In addition, the onion is another immune-booster, while grass-fed butter is a healthy fat (in moderation) and chicken broth provides flavor and a healthy boost of nutrients.
With the weather turning cooler and that undeniable chill in the air, this soup can help keep you warm as a hearty, healthy meal.
How to Make Butternut Squash Soup
You may be wondering: How do you make butternut squash soup from scratch? Turns out, it’s not as complicated as you might think.
As you’ll notice, my recipe calls for peeled butternut squash. Can you leave the skin on butternut squash soup? Yes, but considering the skin can be pretty tough, it’s my preference to peel it first.
Once your chopping/peeling prep is done, this simple butternut squash recipe can be whipped up in less than an hour.
Start by melting butter in a pot over medium heat. Once it’s bubbly, add in your chopped onion — yellow works well here — apple and sage. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Smells good, doesn’t it?
Time to add the butternut squash! Throw it into the pot along with the broth.
Bring it all to a simmer and cook until the squash is tender. You should be able to stick a fork in a piece of squash and pull it out easily by now.
Now it’s time to turn this into soup.
If you have an immersion blender, use it to blend the soup right into the pot. If not, use your normal blender.
Let the soup cool off a bit to avoid hurting yourself. Transfer the mix into a blender.
If your blender is on the smaller side, do this in batches to avoid overfilling. When the soup is blended to the consistency you prefer — are you a chunky or smooth soup kind of person? — return it to the pot.
Add in coconut milk and heat the butternut squash soup through. Season with sea salt, pepper and nutmeg (don’t forget the nutmeg!) to taste and enjoy.
Other Butternut Squash Recipes
Looking for other butternut squash recipes to try? Here are some suggestions:
- Butternut Squash Bake Recipe
- Butternut Squash Ravioli Recipe With Browned Butter Sauce
- 21 Mouthwatering Butternut Squash Recipes
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
You should also try my Acorn Squash Soup recipe that uses both butternut and acorn squashes. It’s divine! What food goes well with butternut squash soup?
You can eat this soup on its own or pair it with salad, roasted vegetables, rice or even a healthy sandwich for a classic soup and sandwich lunch. The possibilities are endless!Print
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
Few things are as comforting as homemade soup. This butternut squash soup is cozy, nutritious and easy to make! Give it a try.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼–½ cup coconut milk
- sea salt and pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion, apple and sage and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes.
- Add squash and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, 15–20 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender (or use an immersion blender), working in batches if necessary, and puree until smooth. (Be careful blending hot liquids.)
- Return to the pot, stir in coconut milk to reach desired consistency.
- Heat through and season with nutmeg, sea salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Peel and chop the squash and apple it before beginning to cook.
- Feel free to add more spices, including red pepper flakes, for an added kick.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Soup
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 10.7g
- Sodium: 853mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 24.8g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 6.9g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
Keywords: butternut squash soup recipe, butternut squash soup recipes, simple butternut squash soup, healthy butternut squash soup, creamy butternut squash soup, classic butternut squash soup