What Causes Acne? Clogged pores can lead to bacteria and yeast overgrowth on the skin causing acne. Inflammation, hormone fluctuations, and increased cortisol can also exacerbate acne.
Top Foods to Include
- Probiotic rich foods like kefir and cultured vegetables
- Zinc rich foods like pumpkin seeds and flaxseeds
- Vitamin A rich foods like spinach and carrots
Top Foods to Avoid
- Sugar and carbohydrate rich foods
- Gluten and wheat containing foods
- Fried food and hydrogenated oils
Top 5 Acne Natural Remedies
1. Probiotics. (10,000IU to 50,000IU daily). Typically 2-3 capsules 2x daily. Probiotics boost immunity and kill off yeast and bad bacteria.
2. Zinc (25-30mg twice daily). Zinc promotes immune function and reduces buildup of DHT to improve skin healing.
3. Omega-3 Fatty Acids (1000mg of fish oil / cod liver oil daily or 3000mg of flax or chia seed oil). Helps reduce inflammation and support hormone balance.
4. Tea Tree Oil. Apply tea tree oil to blemishes morning and night. Tea tree oil has anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties.
5. Vitex. (160mg of Vitex/chasteberry) to balance hormones that can reduce acne formation. Also, you may consider GLA found in evening primrose and borage oil for hormone balance.