So many children (and even adults) are being diagnosed with Attention-Deficient/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) these days. And almost all of them are being prescribed dangerous, mind-altering medications like Ritalin.
But fish oil actually improves the symptoms of ADHD without any of the side effects of drugs like Ritalin and Concerta–and does it even more effectively.
A study by the University of Adelaide in Australia found the following:
- After 7 months the children were not as restless and showed improvements in school.
- Improvements in concentration and attention improved by one-third
- After 15 weeks, 30-40% of the children taking fish oil had improvements
- After 30 weeks, the percentage grew to 40-50% who experienced improvements
- Children taking placebo capsules were later switched to fish oil and subsequently also experienced improved behavior
Improvements were still being seen after the study ended, which suggests the fish oils may have long-term effects. When the researchers compared their results to studies of Ritalin and Concerta for ADHD, they found that fish oils were more effective.
ADHD drugs are known to carry serious side effects, including insomnia, suicidal thoughts, changes in personality, cardiotoxicity, heart attack, stroke and even sudden death. In the UK, 9 children have died after taking the drugs.
With the amazing benefits of the Omega-3 fatty acids, it’s no wonder more and more people are supplementing with Fish Oil and Cod Liver Oil. If you or anyone you know is struggling with ADHD, here are some great action steps.
Dr. Axe’s Action Steps
- Healthy Body/Brain Connection: Corrective Care Chiropractic adjustments remove pressure from the brainstem and balance out the sympathetic nervous system, allowing the body to function at a higher level.
- Cod Liver Oil: 1 Tbsp. for adults 150 lbs. or more, 2 tsp. 80-150 lbs., 1 tsp. 50-80 lbs.
- Eliminate grains and sugars: Replace them with vegetables and berries
- Eliminate Dairy: replace with coconut milk, almond milk or rice milk
- Exercise: Lower amount of TV time and increase exercise. This helps stimulate the brain and improves blood circulation to the brain.