This acorn squash soup is a super fall or wintertime dish and makes terrific use of the acorn and butternut squash varieties that are widely available right now. Serve it as a starter or pair with a salad for a full main course.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 butternut squash
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 carrots, chopped
- ½ white onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted grass-fed butter
- ½ tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon nutmeg
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- Grease two baking sheets with the coconut oil.
- Slice the acorn and butternut squashes lengthwise (through the stem) and remove the seeds.
- Season the squash meat with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash halves facedown on the baking sheets.
- Arrange the carrots, onion, garlic and apple around and in between the squash halves on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow the squash to cool slightly before handling.
- Carefully scoop the flesh from the squash halves and add it to a high-powered blender.
- Transfer the carrots, onion, garlic and apple along with butter, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg to the blender.
- Blend well and set aside.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the blended squash mixture until well incorporated.
- Cook the bisque for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Best served warm/hot.
Try topping it with yogurt (preferably goat milk), apple slices or both to really take it to the next level.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Category: Soups, Side Dishes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Amercian
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 138
- Sugar: 6.6g
- Sodium: 166mg
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 28.2g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
Keywords: acorn squash soup recipe, butternut and acorn squash soup, roasted acorn squash soup