Need to change up your salad game? Add this quick, delicious arugula salad with pecorino to your menu and never tire of salads again!
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 medium red beet, shredded
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 5 cups loosely packed arugula
- shaved pecorino romano cheese
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Add walnuts and toast for 4 minutes, swirling and tossing often. Remove walnuts from skillet and set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and increase to medium. Add coconut oil. When the oil is hot (it will look shimmery), add minced onion and shredded beet. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add balsamic vinegar. Cook another 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the arugula to a serving plate and top with the warm beet mixture. Top with toasted walnuts, pecorino and pepper. Enjoy immediately.
- If you are allergic to walnuts, you can go without them or add another nut or seed (such as chia seeds) that you are not allergic to.
- There are any number of dressings you can use, but healthy, homemade ones are best.
- Forgo the cheese to make this a vegan recipe.
- Category: Salad
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 312
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 112mg
- Fat: 26.5g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 19g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.2g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 10.5g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
Keywords: arugula salad, hearty arugula salad, arugula salad recipe