Grilled cheeses are pretty darn awesome. But I’m not talking about the processed yellow cheese sandwiches of your youth. This Avocado Grilled Cheese is a totally delicious, grown-up version.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbles
- 6 chicken tenders, cooked and shredded
- 3 ounces shaved Pecorino Romano
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 4 slices gluten-free or sprouted wheat berry bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl add avocados, garlic and lemon juice, mixing until well combined.
- Add butter to skillet and once melted, add bread.
- Build sandwich in skillet: on one side add feta cheese and chicken, on other side, add shaved pecorino and tomatoes.
- Remove each sandwich half to a plate after 3–5 minutes, once bread is golden brown on bottom.
- Place avocado spread on one side of grilled cheese. Carefully and quickly bring two sandwich halves together to form your grilled cheese.
This avocado grilled cheese is great for a simple dinner — just pair with a side salad. You can even omit the chicken if you don’t have any on hand or want to keep this vegetarian, or even replace the chicken with turkey bacon.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: Lunches, Main Dishes
- Method: Sau
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 510
- Sugar: 2.2g
- Sodium: 728mg
- Fat: 29.5g
- Saturated Fat: 10.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 36.4g
- Fiber: 9.9g
- Protein: 28.6g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
Keywords: avocado grilled cheese recipe, grilled cheese with avocado