Sweet and spicy chicken is a popular takeout order at my local Chinese restaurant, but I prefer making my own version at home — and now you can, too.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1 sweet-tart apple, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- ¼ cup raisins
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- zest and juice of one orange
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- Heat the oven to 400 F. Grease a glass 13 x 9 baking dish with coconut oil.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towel. Place the chicken thighs in the baking dish and sprinkle both sides generously with the 5-spice powder.
- In a medium bowl, mix the apple, sweet potato, raisins, garlic and orange zest together. Spread this mixture over the top of the chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix together the orange juice and optional rum. Pour this mixture over the top of the chicken dish.
- Cover the dish and bake for 35 minutes, or until the chicken thighs have an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Uncover, sprinkle on more 5-spice powder and return to the oven, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Most apples will work well with this baked chicken thighs recipe, but I’m partial to organic Pink Lady, Braeburn and Jonathan varieties. Just like the potatoes, keep the skins on. Why complicate things?
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1 thigh with veggies
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 404mg
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 25.4g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 21.7g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
Keywords: baked chicken thighs recipe, oven baked chicken thighs, baked boneless chicken thighs