Making this homemade recipe is one of the best ways you can reap all of the awesome beef bone broth benefits. Plus, making beef bone broth is a lot easier than you might think and is far healthier than store-bought versions.
- 4 pounds beef bones with marrow
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium onions, peel on, sliced in half lengthwise and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, peel on and smashed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 sprigs parsley
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 20 cups cold water
- Place all ingredients in a 10 quart capacity slow cooker or large stock pot on the stove.
- Add in water.
- Turn on the slow cooker and prepare to cook for at least 36 hours, so that might mean 3 cycles on the standard slow cooker that has a maximum 12-hour setting (unless you can set your slow cooker for 36 hours).
- If cooking on a stovetop, bring the large pot to a boil over high heat; reduce and simmer gently.
- In slow cooker or pot, skim the fat that rises to the surface occasionally.
- Simmer for 36 to 48 hours.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Discard solids and strain remainder in a bowl through a colander. Let stock cool to room temperature, cover and chill.
- Refrigerate and use within a week. Or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 48 hours
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop, Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: beef bone broth recipe