Beignets are typically deep-fried in unhealthy oil and loaded with multiple forms of refined sugar, but not this beignet recipe!
- ½ cup room temperature water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 3 cups Paleo flour
- 2 eggs
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup evaporated coconut milk
- 1½ tablespoons coconut oil
- coconut oil, for frying
- equal parts arrowroot flour and maple sugar for powdered sugar substitute
- Sift Paleo flour to remove large clumps and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together water, yeast and sugar. Let stand for about 8 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, evaporated milk and salt.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Add ½ the amount of flour and mix.
- Add coconut oil, remaining flour and cinnamon.
- Knead with hands to ensure all ingredients are mixed well.
- Mold dough into a large ball and cover bowl with a towel. Let stand for at least 1–2 hours.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Form dough tightly into 1–2 inch balls just before you fry to make sure they stay intact.
- Fry dough balls for 3–4 minutes on each side or until golden-brown.
- Cool on a paper towel and serve with powdered sugar substitute.
- The powdered sugar alternative is optional.
- To add extra sweetness, try dipping in maple syrup or other healthy natural sweeteners.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Pan-fry
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 62g (2 beignet balls)
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 4.4g
- Sodium: 13mg
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29.3g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
Keywords: beignets, how to make beignets, easy beignet recipe, french beignets, beignet recipes, beignets recipe, beignet main ingredients,