Chicken paprikash, also called paprika chicken, is a popular dish in Hungary. The chicken and vegetables are simmered in a rich and flavorful sauce, and then it’s served over a base of noodles. It’ll quickly become a favorite to make at home.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 6 fingerling potatoes, diced
- 3 cups collard greens, chopped
- 3 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ shallot, sliced into rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus additional for chicken
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, add avocado oil.
- Salt chicken and allow oil to heat for 1 minute.
- Add chicken to the pot to braise each side for about 7 minutes each.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium and add arrowroot, shallots, garlic, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add broth and allow to come to a simmer and thicken, whisking continuously, for about 6 minutes
- Add remaining ingredients with chicken laying on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Also check the chicken with a meat thermometer, and it should register an internal temperature of 170 degrees F.
- While the dish bakes, make your favorite gluten-free noodle of choice
- When the paprikash and the noodles are ready, serve it over the noodles. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stovetop, Baking
- Cuisine: Hungarian
- Serving Size: 1 dish (542g)
- Calories: 540
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 643mg
- Fat: 33g
- Saturated Fat: 7.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 22g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 31.6g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Protein: 30.3g
- Cholesterol: 150mg
Keywords: chicken paprikash, chicken paprikash recipe, hungarian chicken paprikash