Chili verde is Spanish for green chili. Chili verde is a slow cooked stew of meat, green chili peppers and tomatillos. It’s surprisingly easy to make and is absolutely delicious.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts, chopped
- two 15-ounce cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- one 26-ounce can crushed tomatillos
- two 24-ounce cans salsa verde
- one 4-ounce can green chiles
- 3 cups chicken bone broth (or 2 scoops of protein powder from bone broth mixed with 3 cups of water)
- 1 jalapeño, stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add the avocado oil and onions.
- Sauté for few minutes before adding the chicken breast. Sauté for another minute or so.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bringing the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 1 hour, or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 F.
- You can also follow the same instructions to cook in a slow cooker. Cook for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve in big soup bowls and top with fresh cilantro.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 dish (613g)
- Calories: 589
- Sugar: 11.3g
- Sodium: 730mg
- Fat: 22.8g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 41.6g
- Fiber: 11.5
- Protein: 54g
- Cholesterol: 118mg
Keywords: chicken chili verde, chili verde chicken