This gourmet eggplant flatbread pizza is perfect for weekends. You could even prepare the dough and slice the eggplant beforehand.
- ¾ pound eggplant of any variety
For the crust:
- 1 cup arrowroot starch or tapioca flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup water
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 egg
For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes or 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup grated Zamorano, Naked Goat, or other raw sheep’s or goat’s milk cheese
- chopped fresh thyme, rosemary and basil for garnish
- olive oil for drizzling
- cracked pepper
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and heat the oven to 450 Fahrenheit.
- Slice the eggplant in thin circles, about 1/8 inch thick. On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, arrange the eggplant in a single layer and sprinkle with salt. Let the eggplant soften while you prepare the flatbread.
To make the crust:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the arrowroot starch, coconut flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- In a small pot, heat the coconut milk, butter, water and garlic over medium heat. Remove from the heat just as it simmers. Add the hot liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg. Add the egg to the batter and mix well; allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes.
For the pizza:
- Spread the dough in a thin layer on parchment paper the size of the pizza stone. Carefully transfer the dough to the hot pizza stone.
- Bake the flatbread and eggplant for 15 minutes, then remove them from the oven, leaving the pizza stone. Brush the eggplant lightly with balsamic vinegar. Add the spinach, eggplant, tomatoes and cheese to the pizza dough. Return the pizza to the pizza stone and bake for 10–15 minutes or until cheese is melted and tomatoes are soft.
- Top with the herbs, olive oil and cracked pepper. Serve immediately.
- You can use tapioca flour or another gluten-free flour if you don’t have arrowroot on hand.
- If you aren’t concerned with keeping this recipe gluten-free, all-purpose flour works as well.
- Feel free to mix up the toppings with whatever veggies you want to customize this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15min
- Cook Time: 45min
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Oven/By Hand
- Cuisine: American/Italian
- Serving Size: 1/3 flatbread
- Calories: 686
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 619mg
- Fat: 53.9g
- Saturated Fat: 37.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 25.9g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Protein: 28.7g
- Cholesterol: 174mg
Keywords: eggplant flatbread, eggplant flatbread pizza