There’s no better or easier soup than this onion soup recipe. You’ve likely had French onion soup but that can unnecessarily rich. Here you can enjoy a homemade, healthy onion soup whenever the mood strikes.
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 4 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- shredded goat cheddar cheese, for topping (optional)
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- In a stock pot over medium heat, melt ghee and thinly sliced onions.
- Cook onions until lightly caramelized.
- Add bone broth and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30–50 minutes (the longer, the more flavor).
- Serve into bowls or cups, then top with goat cheese and season with salt and pepper.
As the video shows, you can also make this recipe is a slow cooker. First, caramelize the onions in a frying pan before adding to the slow cooker.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Side Dishes, Main Dishes, Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Sodium: 542mg
- Fat: 11.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 9.3g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 16.8g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
Keywords: onion soup recipe