This green bean casserole recipe is delicious and loaded with vitamin K and vitamin A. Try this healthy homemade version of a fall classic.
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound green beans, ends snapped
- 8 ounces baby portobella mushrooms
- 2¼ tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Paleo flour
- 1 cup organic goat milk
- ⅔ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup gluten-free crackers
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Fill a large pot with water and add 1 tablespoon of salt; bring water to a boil. Add green beans to boiling water and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Drain the beans in a colander and immediately plunge them into an ice bath. Once cooled, drain the beans again and pat them dry with a kitchen towel or paper towels (don’t skip this part!). Set aside.
- Cut mushrooms into small pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil; add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked green beans and mushroom mixture to a lightly greased, 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Toss gently.
- To the same skillet used to cook the mushrooms, add 1 tablespoon oil and 2 tablespoons flour; heat over medium-high heat and whisk constantly for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk and continue whisking until all of the mixture is creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Add this roux to the green bean-mushroom mixture and gently toss to coat.
- Add the pumpkin seeds, Gluten-Free Crackers, and a pinch of salt to a blender or food processor; process by pulsing about 10 quick times. Top green bean-mushroom mixture with the pumpkin seed mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Garnish with whole pumpkin seeds before serving.
- You can use kefir in place of goat milk.
- Feel free to swap in the healthy flour of your choosing.
- If you aren’t big on portobello mushrooms, other types like shiitake, cremini or porcini work as well.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Side dish
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 casserole
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 652mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18.8g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 11.6g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
Keywords: homemade green bean casserole, healthy green bean casserole, green bean casserole with frozen green beans, green bean casserole with fresh green beans