This Mexican stew with chicken or fava beans hits all the right notes and will wow your guests or family. Get ready to fall in love with this pozole verde recipe.
- 25-ounce can of hominy
- whole chicken, cut in four parts (use 1 cup fava beans if vegetarian)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ onion, sliced
- 5 tomatillos, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, sliced and deseeded
- 1 jalapeño, sliced and deseeded
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 3 cups spinach
- optional garnishes: shredded goat cheddar cheese, sliced radishes and/or avocado, chopped onions, fresh lime wedges, pumpkin seeds and fresh cilantro
- Open up the can of hominy, rinse well in a colander and add to a large pot (big enough to hold a whole chicken).
- Take a whole chicken and cut into four parts: two leg/thigh portion and two bone-in breasts. Add the pieces to the pot. (No meat? Use one cup of fava beans with the shredded cabbage and spinach later in the recipe.)
- Cover the chicken with water and stir, making sure all the chicken is fully submerged. Bring it to boil. Lower to medium-low temperature and cook for one hour.
- After the hour, turn off the stovetop and remove the chicken from the soup mixture and let it cool in a dish.
- Chop all of the veggies. Place avocado oil in a sauté pan along with the garlic, onion, tomatillos, poblano and jalapeño peppers, cumin, salt and pepper. Sauté for around 10 minutes.
- Add the veggies into a food processor/blender and process until smooth.
- Add the spinach and sliced cabbage to the hominy soup, and turn the burner back on to low. Simmer these veggies for around 15 minutes.
- Shred the chicken and add to the large pot, along with the mixture from the food processor. Stir well and re-heat until ready to serve.
- Serve the vegetarian or chicken poloze verde warm with your choice of garnishes.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 281g
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 558mg
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18.1g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 26.9g
- Cholesterol: 78mg
Keywords: pozole verde, chicken pozole verde, vegetarian pozole verde, pozole verde de pollo