There is a lot to love about a linzer cookie with its perfect balance of sweet yet tart raspberry jam between two rich and buttery cookies. Visually, it’s a very pretty sandwich cookie, but it’s also delicious.
- 2 cups Paleo flour
- 6 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- equal parts arrowroot starch and coconut sugar, for powdered sugar substitute topping
- One 12-ounce bag frozen raspberries
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a medium sized bowl, mix all cookie ingredients.
- Kneed with hands into a large ball and then cut in half.
- Form the halves into separate balls and flatten into disks about the size of a CD.
- Wrap and let sit in fridge for 1–2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan on medium low, combine raspberry jam ingredients. Let simmer and reduce for about 10–15 minutes. Consistency should become thick like a jam. Let cool.
- Roll out cookie dough disk between two sheets of parchment paper until about 1 centimeter in thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut 12 cookies of the same size. You can use any shape. These will be your cookie bottoms.
- Repeat with the second cookie dough disk, creating cookies the same size as the prior cookies.
- Cut out a slightly smaller cookie within the larger cookie to create a hole. These will be your cookie tops.
- Place all the cookies on a lined baking sheet and bake for 8–10 minutes. Let cool on a cooling rack.
- Lightly dust cookie tops with the powdered sugar substitute.
- Spoon raspberry jam onto the cookie bottoms. About a tablespoon each.
- Place cookie top to sandwich the jam and serve.
Instead of the usual wheat flour, these gluten-free linzer cookies are made with a Paleo flour blend. I used one that contains almond, coconut and arrowroot flour.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Desserts, Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Austrian
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 10.7g
- Sodium: 38mg
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrates: 16.9g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Cholesterol: 103mg
Keywords: raspberry linzer cookies, linzer cookie recipe