Pop-Tarts are popular processed foods, but they’re really unhealthy. Instead, make your own toaster pastry with healthy ingredients!
- 1 sugar pumpkin
- 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter, sliced into 1/2 tablespoon pieces
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups Paleo flour
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 2/3 cup Nutiva shortening
- 7–8 tablespoons ice water
- Heat the oven to 375 F. Grease a 9 x 12-inch baking sheet with avocado oil.
- Wash and remove the stem from the sugar pumpkin. Slice the pumpkin vertically and remove the seeds.
- Place the pumpkin halves face down on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until the pumpkin is easily pierced with a fork. Prepare the dough while the pumpkin is roasting.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut sugar and salt. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in the shortening until the mixture becomes crumbly. Stir in ice water one tablespoon at a time until dough is formed.
- Divide the dough evenly in half, forming each half into a ball. Wrap both halves in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Remove and unwrap one ball of dough. Smooth out any cracks along the sides of the dough. On a smooth surface dusted with flour, roll the dough into a 9 x 12-inch rectangle. The dough should be about 1/8 inch thick.
- Use a paring knife to trim and create clean edges. Cut the rectangle vertically into 3 equal pieces, then cut those pieces horizontally into three equal pieces, creating 9 rectangles (you can use a ruler to help guide you).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the rectangles on the baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate while you work with the rest of the dough.
- Remove the other ball of dough and repeat the process above. One set of rectangles will be the bottoms of the pop-tarts; the other set will be the tops. Refrigerate both sets of rectangles while you prepare the pumpkin filling.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven and lower the heat to 350 F. Allow the pumpkin to cool before handling it. It will be hot!
- Use a spoon to scoop the pumpkin meat out of the rind. Discard the rind.
- In a food processor, combine the pumpkin meat, butter, coconut sugar, vanilla and spices and pulse on high until mixed.
- Remove the pastry rectangles from the refrigerator. Using a tablespoon, spoon a heaping tablespoon of the pumpkin mixture onto each bottom rectangle, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Place the pop-tart tops on top and seal the edges with a fork. Poke 3 rows of 3 tiny holes in the tops to allow air to escape.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the tarts from the pan and allow them to cool for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with coconut sugar and serve.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 90 min
- Category: Desserts, Snacks
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 pastry
- Calories: 357
- Sugar: 17.4g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 20.5g
- Saturated Fat: 7.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 44.5g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
Keywords: toaster pastry recipe, toaster pastries