Mac and cheese … without the cheese? You can absolutely enjoy vegan mac and cheese! Get creative (and healthier) with the ingredients.
- 1 butternut squash, sliced in ½ lengthwise and seeds discarded
- ½ white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 8 cups gluten-free pasta noodles of choice, cooked
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- On a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, place the squash face down.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until for tender.
- Boil and cook the pasta.
- Scoop the inside of the squash into a high-powdered blender or food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the pasta) and blend on high until well-combined, adding more herbs and spices as needed.
- In a large mixing bowl gently stir together the pasta and sauce.
- Serve topped with green onions.
- Experiment with different spices and amounts to get just the right flavor for your tastes.
- You can use any pasta of your choice, whether it be gluten-free or not.
- Eat this vegan mac and cheese as a main dish or side — your choice!
- Prep Time: 14 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Baking/Blender
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 305g
- Calories: 359
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Sodium: 1,112mg
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 69.3g
- Fiber: 12.7g
- Protein: 12.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese recipe, best vegan mac and cheese, vegan butternut squash mac and cheese,