This vegan pumpkin pie ice cream is fun to make … and creative. It relies on coconut milk and a base of butternut squash and apples! A tasty ice cream packed with fiber, vitamins and antioxidants? Yes, please.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- pinch of salt
- 1½ cans full fat coconut milk, divided
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 sweet-tart apple, cored and sliced thick
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons whiskey or bourbon
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread the squash evenly on the parchment.
- Sprinkle the squash with the salt and bake for 30 minutes. Make the coconut-caramel syrup while the squash is baking.
- In a small pot, heat half a can of coconut milk over medium-high heat. When hot, add the coconut sugar and simmer at medium heat for 6–8 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the vanilla, stir and set aside.
- Remove the squash from the oven. Add the apples to the pan and bake 20 minutes more
- Remove the squash and apple from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a high-powered blender, combine the remaining can of coconut milk, coconut-caramel syrup, squash, apples, spices and whiskey/bourbon. Puree on high until thoroughly blended and thick.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container at least 3 hours or overnight. When completely chilled, churn in an ice cream according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Ice Cream Maker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 small bowl (222g)
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 23.5g
- Sodium: 14mg
- Fat: 15.3g
- Saturated Fat: 13.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 36.6g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan pumpkin pie ice cream, pumpkin pie ice cream, vegan pumpkin ice cream