Move over vanilla ice cream — there’s a much more interesting and healthy option just waiting to be eaten: black ice cream!
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups condensed coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons activated charcoal powder
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- Freeze the freezer bowl for at least 9 hours or overnight.
- In a medium-size saucepan, on medium-low, mix milk, condensed milk, starch, honey, vanilla extract, cacao powder and charcoal. Don’t let this mixture come to a boil.
- Pour mixture into a bowl, cover and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour before making ice cream.
- Assemble ice cream maker and turn on the rotating freezer bowl.
- Pour ice cream mixture into the freezer bowl and allow to churn for 15–20 minutes or until desired consistency.
- If you like your ice cream thick, pour the mixture into a container, cover with parchment paper and store in the freezer for about 1 hour.
- Serve with your favorite ice cream toppings.
- Swap the honey for another natural sweetener, such as maple syrup, to make this recipe vegan.
- Add healthy toppings of your choice, such as nuts and sea salt.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 177g
- Calories: 420
- Sugar: 11.3g
- Sodium: 25mg
- Fat: 40.2g
- Saturated Fat: 35.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20.1g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: black ice cream recipe, charcoal ice cream