Few things are as comforting as homemade soup. This butternut squash soup is cozy, nutritious and easy to make! Give it a try.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼–½ cup coconut milk
- sea salt and pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion, apple and sage and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes.
- Add squash and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, 15–20 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender (or use an immersion blender), working in batches if necessary, and puree until smooth. (Be careful blending hot liquids.)
- Return to the pot, stir in coconut milk to reach desired consistency.
- Heat through and season with nutmeg, sea salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Peel and chop the squash and apple it before beginning to cook.
- Feel free to add more spices, including red pepper flakes, for an added kick.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Soup
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 10.7g
- Sodium: 853mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 24.8g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 6.9g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
Keywords: butternut squash soup recipe, butternut squash soup recipes, simple butternut squash soup, healthy butternut squash soup, creamy butternut squash soup, classic butternut squash soup