Before there were sports drinks to rehydrate after intense physical labor or sugary drinks designed to boost energy levels, there was switchel, an all-natural drink similar to lemonade that’s experiencing a resurgence in popularity.
- 1 cup ginger, chopped
- ½ cup maple syrup (add more if need it to be sweeter; you also can substitute molasses for a very old-fashioned taste!)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup lemon juice
- 6 cups water
- Fill a 2-quart saucepan 2/3 with water and add ginger.
- Bring water to a boil and allow ginger to boil for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let ginger steep for 20 minutes.
- In a 2-quart pitcher, add maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice.
- Strain ginger as you are pouring into pitcher.
- Stir and mix all ingredients well.
- Can be served warm or on ice.
- *Add more water to dilute if needed.
You can enjoy this drink either at room temperature or served on ice. You can even give switchel a little kick and add a splash of alcohol, like gin or vodka, to it.
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: West Indian
- Serving Size: 8 oz.
- Calories: 91
- Sugar: 16.9g
- Sodium: 11mg
- Fat: 0.2
- Carbohydrates: 22.5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: switchel recipe, how to make switchel, what is switchel