This will be one of the more flavorful, satisfying soups you will make. It’s packed with healthy fats from coconut milk, protein from the chicken thighs, a punch of spicy flavor from red curry paste and some chili peppers, and the nutrition of numerous vegetables plus a lemongrass- and ginger-infused broth.
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken bone broth (or regular broth)
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, cut in half and smashed
- 1 medium knob of ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1–2 bird’s eye chili peppers, optional
- two 13.5-ounce cans coconut milk
- one 4-ounce jar Thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 large Japanese sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- one 13.5-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- juice of two limes
- In a large pot or dutch oven, bring the broth, lemongrass, ginger, and optional chili peppers to a boil over medium-high heat. Decrease heat to medium-low and simmer while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium pot, heat the coconut milk to a low boil over medium-high heat. Add the red curry paste and whisk to combine until smooth and fully incorporated. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter or oil over medium heat. Once the butter is melted or the oil is shimmering, add the chicken thighs and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the onions and sweet potatoes and cook 5 minutes more. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Remove the lemongrass, ginger and chili peppers from the broth with a handled sieve or slotted spoon and discard.
- Increase heat to medium and add the coconut-curry mixture, chicken and vegetable saute, broccoli, and bamboo shoots. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the scallions and lime juice. Stir, cover and allow the soup to rest for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Soups, Main Dishes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai
- Serving Size: 1 bowl (575g)
- Calories: 505
- Sugar: 9.4g
- Fat: 32.9g
- Saturated Fat: 24.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 28.7g
- Fiber: 10.2g
- Protein: 30.6g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
Keywords: thai coconut soup, thai chicken coconut soup, thai soup, thai chicken soup