1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 10 eggs
- 2/3 cup goat milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with coconut oil. In the casserole dish, toss the diced sweet potatoes with the melted coconut oil, pink salt and pepper until the potatoes are well coated.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 25 minutes (or until fork tender).
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and add the broccoli, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes and zucchini.
- Stir to mix.
- Spread the chopped spinach over the top of the vegetables.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until they’re lighter in color.
- Stir in the goat milk.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake the casserole for 50–55 minutes, until the top is golden and set.
- Allow the casserole to cool for 5–10 minutes before serving.
Egg casseroles are terrific when you’re in a time crunch. They come together easily, are large enough to feed a crowd and taste as good at dinnertime as they do for breakfast. Unfortunately, most of the traditional recipes are full of starchy potatoes and breakfast meats — not exactly a vegetarian-friendly meal.
Luckily, now you’ve got this Vegetarian Egg Casserole in your back pocket. You won’t miss the meat here. Instead, you’ll get a hefty serving of veggies drizzled in coconut oil and topped with eggs, then all baked to perfection.
Let’s make this vegetarian egg casserole!
Start by cranking the oven to 400 F and greasing your casserole pan with coconut oil. Then toss the diced sweet potatoes in there and drizzle the melted coconut oil, salt and pepper over them.
Using sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes adds an extra dose of vitamins and antioxidants — plus they’re delicious. Bake the sweet potatoes for about 25 minutes or until they’re tender when poked with a fork. Roasting the sweet potatoes before making the casserole is going to add a whole extra dimension of flavor to this vegetarian egg casserole.
When the potatoes are ready, remove the dish from the oven and add your veggies. Broccoli, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and zucchini are all making an appearance here. This is a colorful casserole that is just going to burst with flavor and good-for-you nutrients. I love this vegetable combo but if you have something different in the refrigerator, add it in.
Once the veggies are mixed in with the potatoes, layer the leafy green spinach on top. Then, in a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until they’re lighter in color, then stir in the goat’s milk. It’s a great alternative to cow’s milk for people who are mildly lactose intolerant and tastes great, too.
Once the milk and eggs are stirred together, pour the mixture over the vegetables and season to taste. Then slide the whole casserole into the oven and bake for 50–55 minutes, until the top is set and the egg has cooked through. Hands off, though! Give the casserole 5–10 minutes to cool before slicing it up and enjoying.
I really love this vegetarian egg casserole. It’s so hearty and versatile: you can sub in your favorite type of milk, swap in different vegetables or experiment with fresh herbs. It’s hard to mess up this easy-to-make dish. Enjoy!
From the sound of it, you might think leaky gut only affects the digestive system, but in reality it can affect more. Because Leaky Gut is so common, and such an enigma, I’m offering a free webinar on all things leaky gut. Click here to learn more about the webinar.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &