One of my favorite DIY skin masks is made using benefit-rich turmeric. Turmeric has been all the craze for dietary reasons but did you also know that it can also help your skin?
Turmeric, traditionally known as Indian saffron because of its deep yellow-orange color, has been used throughout history as a condiment and textile dye. Turmeric also provides amazing healing benefits, not just inside the body, but for your skin. Indian brides have long used turmeric body scrubs and face masks to purify and cleanse their bodies as well as provide a healthy glow by brightening their skin right before their weddings.
Turmeric, a herb used as a main ingredient in curry, can benefit your skin as a home remedy for acne, eczema, psoriasis, dry skin, wrinkles and dark circles under the eyes. It also reduces skin inflammation due to being high in antioxidants and slows down cell damage. As well, it can help reduce pigmentation that evens out skin tone.
What makes turmeric work so well? Turmeric has shown significant anti-inflammatory activity because of its volatile oil and its yellow or orange pigment, which is called curcumin. Curcumin, a phytonutrient, contains anti-inflammatory abilities that have been shown to be comparable to many drugs on the market today, but unlike drugs, curcumin produces no toxicity.
A turmeric face mask is an excellent exfoliating agent and very easy to make right at home with just a few ingredients. However, it is important to note that some people have reported allergic reactions to turmeric after skin exposure. I recommend testing on a small area of your skin first. You may need to use a mild soap with water to remove the yellow stain that may occur. Be careful not to get it on your clothing as well, since it may stain.
With consistency, this turmeric face mask will give you glowing skin!
Today and tomorrow, I’m hosting a free presentation all about what I’ve created to be the fastest and most authoritative way to become a Certified Essential Oil Coach.
And you’re invited! Click Here to Register
Whether you’re in pursuit of essential oil mastery or you want to build an essential oil business, this is a must-see presentation. Plus, I’ve set aside a half hour to answer your questions.
Like I said, no charge and you can register here.
Turmeric Face Mask for Glowing Skin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of organic, raw, local honey
- ½ teaspoon milk or yogurt
- [optional] 1 drop lemon essential oil or fresh lemon juice for additional skin brightening
- Wash face and hands first to remove impurities and any make-up.
- In a small bowl or jar, mix the turmeric powder with the honey, apple cider vinegar, milk or yogurt and optional lemon oil. Try to get a consistency that will stick to your face. Be careful not to make it too thin as it may drip.
- Apply the mask carefully avoiding your eyes.
- Allow the mask sit on your face for 15–20 minutes then rinse with warm water.
- If you have any leftover, you can cover and leave in the fridge for your next application.
- Apply twice a week for best results.