Is there any breakfast food that screams “hearty” like sausage, egg and cheese?
Now, you might be surprised to hear that I love sausage; after all, I’m not a fan of pork meat. These days, however, there are so many healthy options for sausage that you’re bound to find a version you like. I’m a fan of chicken sausage myself. It’s a lean, protein-rich food that’s even tastier than its pig counterpart.
The meat is the real star of this Sausage and Egg Casserole. Because it needs to sit overnight, it’s a fantastic option for when you have guests in town or want to kick off the week with minimal morning effort.
You’re not going to believe how delicious — and easy to make — this sausage and egg casserole is. I guarantee it’ll become a new family favorite.
We’ll start by browning the sliced sausage in a pan to give it some good color and cook it through. Once it’s done, drain any fat and set the sausage aside.
Next, in a large bowl, beat the eggs, kefir or coconut milk, salt and pepper. Once the ingredients are well combined, add in the bread cubes, goat cheese and sausage. With these basic but oh-so-good ingredients, how can you go wrong?
Pour the whole mix into a 9 x 13-inch greased baking pan and cover. You can refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight — I recommend the latter. No checking the clock! Giving this sausage and egg casserole the time to soak means that every part of this dish will be full of flavor and stay firm while baking.
The next morning, place the pan into a cold oven — you don’t even need to preheat! Turn it up to 350 degrees F and bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
This simple sausage and egg casserole is an awesome make-ahead morning meal or breakfast-for-dinner dish. I love how little hands-on time it requires, but how great it tastes. You can certainly customize this to your family’s tastes, too. Vary up the cheeses, add some fresh herbs or experiment with the type of meat. It all works!
Sausage and Egg Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound chicken sausage, sliced
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups kefir or coconut milk
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 slices of coconut flour bread, cut into cubes
- 1–1/2 cups goat cheese, shredded
- In a skillet over medium high heat, brown the sausage. Once cooked through, drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, kefir, salt and pepper. Stir in bread cubes, cheese and sausage.
- Pour mixture into greased 9 x 13 pan. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Place pan in a cold oven. Turn oven to 350 degrees F and bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.