One of the most common questions I have been asked over the years is “what is the best diet for cancer?” And while I don’t claim this to be a cancer cure I do believe there is sufficient evidence to prove that there are certain healing foods, herbs and treatments that fight and prevent cancer.
One of those protocols that has been proven to fight cancer is the Budwig Protocol or the Budwig Diet.
Along with treatments like Gerson Therapy I believe this to be something that is excellent for cancer prevention and natural cancer treatment.
The Budwig Protocol also has the following benefits:
- Cancer Recovery
- Improving diabetes
- Healing skin conditions eczema and psoriasis
- Improving arthritis
- Balancing hormones
- Improving neurological function
- Healing heart disease
The Budwig protocol success rate has been claimed to be between 80-93% for chronic health conditions according to the Budwig organization.
Budwig Therapy Improves Cellular Health
In 1952 Dr. Johanna Budwig was the German Government’s Senior Expert on lipids and pharmacology and was considered one of the worlds leading authorities on fats and oils.
While doing her research she discovered that many of the conventional processed fats and hydrogenated oils were destroying the membranes of our cells which in turn was causing diseased cells and toxicity.
Your body is made up of approximately 75 Trillion cells and your cells have a nucleus that has a positive charge and on the outside has electrons that are negatively charged.
The conventional processing of fats destroys the cell membrane which doesn’t allow your cells to fire properly. If you can imagine a car with a dead battery, this is basically what has happened in your cells.
Now your cells can’t associate properly with protein or H2O and fats are no longer able to pass through the capillaries and this causes circulatory problems to occur.
Most all of us are aware how bad fats can block our arteries, but bad fats create problems through your entire body also leading to cell congestion and inflammation.
According to Guyton’s Medical Physiology your brain and nervous system control the function of your entire body. 60% of your nervous system is made up of fat and every cell in your body is made up of fat in order for your organs to function.
For your cells to work properly you must have healthy energized cells. Your body produces over 500 million new cells a day yet when the electric balance (battery) is off you can’t create healthy cells.
In simple terms, these conventionally processed fats and hydrogenated oils are shutting down our cells electrical power which causes diseased cells.
How The Budwig Diet Works
So what’s the solution?
First, STOP consuming processed fats, oils, and GMO foods.
Second, start consuming healthy unsaturated fatty acids and saturated fatty acids to repair the damaged cell membranes or in laymans term recharge your dead batteries!
Dr. Budwig found that the health of your cells can quickly be reversed by consuming a mixture of cottage cheese (quark), flaxseeds, and flaxseed oil.
Cottage cheese is rich in sulfur protein and saturated fats and flaxseed oil is high in electron rich unsaturated fatty acids. When cottage cheese and flax are combined together it makes the fats more soluble and can now easily be absorbed into the cell membrane healing your cells.
Dr. Budwig also discovered this wasn’t just effective in the treatment of cancer, but also in healing heart disease, diabetes, eczema, psoriasis, arthritis, hormone imbalance, and neurological conditions.
In addition to consuming the Budwig protocol meal, Dr. Budwig also recommended the following diet and lifestyle strategies to fight cancer:
Juicing Vegetables can give you body a large concentrated dose of enzymes, vitamins, minerals and antioxidant that can support the body in cancer recovery.
Frankincense essential oil was recommended by Dr. Budwig especially when it comes to fighting brain tumors. Rub this essential oil on your body (neck area) 3x daily and take 3 drops internally 3x daily.
Sunshine therapy with getting 30 minutes of direct sunlight exposure daily can increase low vitamin D3 levels which can help fight cancer.
This full on protocol including all of the above therapies is called the Cellect Budwig Protocol.
Choose Quality Dairy
The Budwig Protocol is an amazing formula for regenerating your cells and fighting cancer and other diseases, but in today’s world we run into a problem. Most conventional store bought cottage cheese isn’t as good as it was back in 1952 in Germany.
As I mentioned in previous articles and books there are three major problems with most dairy today:
- Ultra High Temperature Pasteurization (280 F) – This heat can damage many of the vital nutrients including the proteins and probiotics.
- Chemicals – Most Dairy today is loaded with hormones, antibiotics, pain killers, and pesticide residue.
- A1 Casein – There are two types of protein in milk, Casein and Whey. In the last 1000 years there has been a genetic mutation in some dairy cows that has caused them to produce an irregular type of protein called Beta-Casein A1. A1 Casein is a protein that for some people can be highly inflammatory similar to Gluten. This type of dairy isn’t found in certain cattle and is never found in human, goats, sheep, buffalo, and A2 cows. To learn more read Devil in the Milk.
So again, when shopping for dairy, look to buy ideally organic cottage cheese, goat’s milk kefir, raw yogurt or amasai from A2 cows.
The Budwig Protocol Plus Turmeric
Because of the changes in agriculture I want to give you a combination of foods today that may have similar benefits to the traditional Budwig Protocol but may even go beyond in benefits.
I recommend the following:
1. Cultured Dairy: Kefir (Goat Milk), organic cottage cheese, Amasai (A2 Cows Milk), or Yogurt (Sheep or Goat Milk) – Make sure these products are low-temp processed or raw and that they are organic and come from grass-fed animals.
2. Sprouted Super Seeds: Chia and Flax – These are the 2 most nutrient dense seeds in the world and have incredible health benefits and are best sprouted.
3. Cold Pressed Flaxseed Oil – Flaxseed oil contains essential omega-3 fatty acids that can help energize your cells.
4. Turmeric and Black Pepper – There is more research on turmeric (curcumin the active ingredient) fighting cancer than any other herb in the world today. It’s been shown to decrease tumor size and fight colon and breast cancer. Also, adding a pinch of black pepper can increase turmeric absorption.
The Beyond Budwig recipe is:
- 6oz of Cultured Dairy (cottage cheese, goat’s milk kefir or amasai)
- 4 Tbsp of sprouted and ground Chia or Flax
- 1 Tbsp Flaxseed Oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Mix all the ingredients together in bowl or blender and consume 1x daily.
Consuming this meal 1x daily can help rebuild your cell membranes and is also an incredible colon cleanse. It is loaded with probiotics and fermentable fiber that can transform the health of your small intestine and colon.
*Note – If you simply cannot consume this healthy form of dairy because of a food sensitivity, I suggest replacing the kefir with unsweetened coconut yogurt or 3oz full-fat canned coconut milk.
Budwig Center. Dr. Johanna Budwig Diet. http://www.budwigcenter.com/anti-cancer-diet.php (accessed 7 April 2012).
Flower G, Fritz H, Balneaves L, Verma S, Skidmore B, Fernandes R, Kennedy D, Cooley K, Wong R, Sagar S, Fergusson D, Dugald S. Flax and Breast Cancer: A Systematic Review. Integrative Cancer Therapy 2013: PMID 2401361.
Cancer Research UK. Can turmeric prevent or treat cancer? Available at: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/about-cancer/cancer-questions/can-turmeric-prevent-bowel-cancer.
Yasunari Takada, et al. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents differ in their ability to suppress NF-kappaB activation, inhibition of expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and cyclin D1, and abrogation of tumor cell proliferation. Oncogene 2004; 23(57): 9247-58.
From the sound of it, you might think leaky gut only affects the digestive system, but in reality it can affect more. Because Leaky Gut is so common, and such an enigma, I’m offering a free webinar on all things leaky gut. Click here to learn more about the webinar.