Brownies are one of my favorite desserts. How could they not be: they’re chocolate-y, creamy and simple to make. But are they healthy? Well, with these sweet potato brownies, you don’t have to worry anymore.
Why Your Brownies Need Sweet Potatoes
You might be confused about how sweet potatoes could play a role in a homemade brownie recipe. Do they make the brownies taste like vegetables? Will the brownies be the wrong texture? Worst of all, will anyone know that there are sweet potatoes in these brownies?!
The answer is no! In fact, these sweet potatoes are one of the secret weapons in this brownie recipe. Adding the vegetable means you’ll get all the benefits of sweet potato nutrition each time you take a bite out of these brownies.
I’m talking nearly 700 percent of your daily value of vitamin A and tons of antioxidants, which keep your skin looking awesome. They also lower inflammation and cholesterol levels — plus, sweet potatoes taste great!
But these sweet potato brownies have another secret ingredient: avocados. Benefit-rich avocados are one of my favorite foods, and I love them in baked goods as well. They add healthy fats, protein and a super creamy texture. And no, avocados won’t turn these brownies green!
How to Make Sweet Potato Brownies
Let’s whip up these sweet potato brownies!
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F. Next, grease an 8×8 pan with coconut oil and line it with parchment paper.
In a bowl, combine the avocado, sweet potato, applesauce, honey and vanilla. The applesauce and honey will sweeten up these healthy brownies without any refined sugar; that means no sugar crashes or hyper children!
Once the mix is creamy, add in the cacao powder.
Next, add in the eggs one at a time. Then, in a separate bowl, combine the coconut flour, arrowroot flour, salt and baking soda. That’s right, these sweet potato brownies are gluten-free.
Next, combine both of the mixtures until smooth. Then transfer the sweet potato brownie mix to a greased pan and bake for 25–35 minutes.
While the sweet potato brownies are baking, combine the frosting ingredients in a separate bowl and mix until creamy and smooth.
Once the brownies are done baking and have cooled, frost them with the mixture and enjoy!
Still unsure about how to make these sweet potato brownies? Watch my video below!
Sweet Potato Brownies Recipe
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato purée
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¼–½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup sprouted almond butter
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ½ cup coconut milk
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease 8x8 pan with coconut oil and line it with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine avocado, sweet potato, applesauce, honey and vanilla. Once creamy, add in cacao powder.
- Add in eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut flour, arrowroot flour, salt and baking soda.
- Combine both mixtures until smooth.
- Transfer to greased pan and bake for 25–35 minutes.
- While baking, combine the last 5 ingredients listed in a separate bowl and mix until creamy and smooth.
- Once the brownies are done baking and have cooled, frost with this mixture.