When I’m craving something hearty but with a little kick, I go straight for my taco soup recipe. It’s so robust and made with two pounds of ground bison — also, try my bison chili recipe! — and it’s really a savory go-to recipe the whole family will enjoy. I know it’s become a favorite in our house.
It’s a cinch to make, too. In fact, since it’s cooked in the slow cooker, it practically makes itself. You just add all the tasty ingredients for this easy taco soup recipe, turn the slow cooker on low and let it go!
The added beauty of this quick and easy taco soup recipe is that you can get it ready the night before you want to cook it and then cook it in the morning so it’s ready for lunch or dinner.
I have a hunch that this taco soup crockpot recipe is going to be a frequent meal in your house, too.
Some taco soup recipes out there utilize the occasional unhealthy ingredients, but my recipe for taco soup avoids that. Here are the main players in this crockpot taco soup:
- Bison: A lean source of protein, bison is more likely to be grass-fed than beef and is high in B vitamins and several minerals. As such, it supports immunity, fights inflammation and helps prevent deficiencies, including iron and zinc deficiency.
- Beans: Whether you opt for black beans or kidney beans, both are plant-based protein sources that provide a wide array of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They’re also high in fiber, can help combat disease and support heart health.
- Onions: High in vitamin C, onions nutrition supports immune, heart, bone and respiratory health.
- Tomatoes: High in vitamins C, A, K and B6, along with potassium and manganese, tomatoes are known to help fight cancer, inflammation, heart complications, vision issues, skin problems and bone-related risks.
The mix of spices — chili powder, garlic powder and cumin — add to both the flavor and health benefits, along with the corn and chiles.
How to Make Taco Soup
First, brown the ground bison in a skillet on medium-high until all the “pink” is gone, being sure not to overcook it, since it will also cook in the slow cooker. (You can throw it into the slow cooker raw, but I suggest cooking it first.)
Next, add the browned ground bison and all the other ingredients, placing them in the slow cooker and mixing them with a wooden spoon.
Put the lid on the slow cooker, and cook on low for eight to 10 hours. Serve when it’s ready — or when you’re ready — by placing in a soup bowl.
What goes good with taco soup? I like to adorn the finished product with colorful sliced peppers and non-GMO tortilla chips on the side. If you like, you can add some avocado, diced green onions or shredded raw cheese to top it off.
Is this the best taco soup recipe? You be the judge of that. Enjoy!Print
This easy taco soup recipe can’t be beat. It is fast and filling, with just right amount of spicy, and it is easy to customize.
- 2 pounds ground bison
- 2 cups onions diced
- 2 cans of choice black and kidney beans
- 2 cups organic corn
- One 14-ounce can of organic plum tomatoes
- 5 tomatoes, diced
- One 14-ounce can of tomatoes with chiles
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- Brown the 2 pounds of ground bison in a medium-high heated skillet until it is browned. (Remember: The ground bison will continue to cook in the slow cooker, so it doesn’t have to be overcooked.)
- While the ground bison is browning, dice the onions.
- Place browned ground bison and all the other ingredients into a large slow cooker or crockpot and gently mix with a wooden spoon.
- Turn slow cooker on low and cook for 8 to 10 hours.
- Serve in soup bowls placed on plate, with cut up peppers on the side.
- Top with your favorite toppings, such as avocado, diced green onion and shredded raw cheese.
- Instead of bison, feel free to swap in your favorite healthy protein, whether it’s grass-fed beef, free-range chicken or ground turkey — or skip the meat altogether to make it vegetarian.
- While this recipe calls for black or kidney beans, feel free to add both or utilize any other bean of your choosing.
- To add some spice, red pepper flakes, cayenne and additional hot peppers can turn up the heat.
- Category: Soups and Slow Cooker
- Method: Slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 644
- Sugar: 9.3g
- Sodium: 126mg
- Fat: 17.4g
- Saturated Fat: 6.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 75.5g
- Fiber: 18.5g
- Protein: 49.2g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
Keywords: taco soup recipe, easy taco soup, taco soup crockpot, taco soup recipes, recipe for taco soup, quick and easy taco soup, best taco soup recipe, crockpot taco soup,
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &