If you’re a meat eater, chances are high that you love meatballs. After all, what’s there not to love? Meat and spices are rolled into balls of deliciousness and usually added to yet another tasty dish, like a pasta or a sub sandwich. And now there’s another tasty meatball dish to try: my Protein Meatball Soup, powered by bone broth.
This isn’t just any kind of soup. It’s made with protein powder from bone broth so that just sipping on the benefit-rich bone broth will nourish your bones and body. It’s also really easy to make. Seriously! So let’s get cooking.
Start by mixing together the ground beef, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and paprika or cayenne together. Roll the mixture into small meatballs. Make this step easier by letting the kids help out! Then in a large pot, heat the coconut oil and add the meatballs. Let them cook until they’re just browned, turning them so they color evenly.
Then, in the same pot, add in the protein powder made from bone broth, water, sea salt, bay leaves, carrots and sweet potatoes. Bring everything to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Finally, add in the remaining ingredients and let the whole pot of meatball soup simmer for the next 20 minutes or so, or until the meatballs are cooked through. That’s all there is to this simple soup. I love serving it with a side of gluten-free crackers. It works equally well as a lunch or dinner and makes a great take-to-work lunch.
- 1.5 pound ground bison or beef
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or cayenne
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 cups bone broth or 3 scoops protein powder made from bone broth mixed in 36 oz. water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 carrots, washed and chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Mix meat, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and paprika or cayenne together. Roll into small meatballs.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add meatballs and cook for 5–8 minutes, just until they’re brown.
- Add broth, water, sea salt, bay leaves, carrots and sweet potatoes, bringing to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are done.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &