Do you need a new frittata recipe? Then it’s time to make this Protein Veggie Frittata, powered by bone broth. This isn’t your standard frittata. No, this egg-based dish is loaded with protein and fresh vegetables. I especially love adding broccoli for some extra green and cancer-preventing benefits. And I haven’t added it to the ingredients list, but grated cheddar cheese makes for a tasty addition as well.
Best of all, this protein veggie frittata is so simple to make, but it looks super fancy, perfect for entertaining weekend guests. And it’s prepared in one pan — less dishes to wash!Let’s get cooking.
Start by heating an oven-proof, all-metal sauté pan over medium-high heat. Bring the bone broth and sea salt to a simmer. Add in the veggies and let it all simmer for 8 minutes uncovered. Reduce the heat to low.
In the meantime, turn the oven to a low broil. While it heats, whisk the benefit-rich eggs, basil and red pepper flakes together. The fresh basil adds a ton of flavor to this protein veggie frittata, but if you don’t have the herb on hand, thyme works nicely as well. And though it’s optional, I love the extra “zing” the red pepper flakes add. When the eggs are whisked, add the mixture to the pan with the bone broth protein and stir to combine.
Cover the pan and cook on the stove for 10–15 minutes. Then transfer the pan to the oven, letting the frittata finish cooking. Keep your eyes on the eggs in this step; you want them to set, not burn. This will take anywhere from 3–7 minutes.
That’s it! This protein veggie frittata powered by bone broth is ready. I like garnishing it with some of the fresh herbs and serving with a side of avocado slices for extra healthy fats and nutrition.
- 1 scoop of protein powder made from bone broth (unflavored) mixed in 8 ounces water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 red onion, diced
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 red pepper, diced
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or chipotle flakes (optional)
- In a large, all-metal sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the bone broth, water and sea salt to a simmer.
- Add veggies and simmer for 8 minutes, uncovered. Reduce heat to low.
- Turn oven to low broil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, basil and optional pepper flakes together thoroughly.
- Add egg mixture to pan and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on stovetop for 10–15 minutes. Broil, still covered, for 3–7 minutes, watching carefully, until eggs are set.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &