2. Organic Free Range Eggs – Eggs are loaded with protein and other essential nutrients like Vitamin E, healthy fats and beta carotene. Although it’s popular to remove the yolk, I recommend eating the whole egg, yolk included. Egg yolks are packed with Choline, which is significant because 86% of pregnant women are deficient in Choline.
3. Wild Caught Salmon or other wild caught fish – High in Omega-3s and healthy fatty acid. The omega fatty acid DHA has been found essential for brain development during a healthy pregnancy. Cod liver oils and other good quality fish oils (in liquid or capsule form) are great sources of these omega-3s if you have trouble getting quality salmon.
4. Flax Seeds, Chia Seeds, and Almonds – Great for healthy hair, skin and nails especially during pregnancy. The fiber found in nuts and seeds is also beneficial for your colon.
5. Cultured or Fermented Dairy – Yogurt, kefir or amasai are high in fat soluble vitamins like Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin K. They’re highly important in supporting the brain and the nervous system in early development. You’ll want to stay away from any dairy that’s been ultra-pasteurized.
The Chia Seeds I use are Navitas Naturals Chia Seeds
Healing Foods Shopping List (pdf download)
Healthy Pregnancy Super Smoothie
- 5 ounces of cultured dairy
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 Tbsp. Chia Seeds (or Flax Meal)
- 2 raw Organic Eggs
- Optional: Add 1 Serving Cod Liver Oil, or take a capsule while making your smoothie.