It’s that time of year when our skin often feels itchy due to the changes in the weather. The cold temperatures outside combined with the low humidity and dry air can create this nagging feeling of dry, itchy skin. There are some amazing natural skin care remedies for solving this problem, including this natural moisturizer for dry skin with lavender oil, coconut oil and shea butter.
Shifting from store-bought products to making our own is one of the best things that my wife, Chelsea, and I have done. I think that it’s easy to forget how what we put onto our bodies — like a moisturizer for dry skin — is just as important as what we put into our bodies.
Steer Clear of Most Beauty Products
The Breast Cancer Fund Organization shared how beauty products affect us beyond skin level. “When it comes to beauty products, the effects of the ingredients they contain can be more than just skin deep. The cosmetics industry uses thousands of synthetic chemicals in its products, in everything from lipstick and lotion to shampoo and shaving cream.”
A lot of the ingredients used for cleaning industrial equipment are the same ingredients used in most skin care products. This should be enough information to help you choose a natural approach to cosmetics! In the U.S., the cosmetics industry is allowed to put thousands of synthetic chemicals into personal care products, regardless of their link to cancer, infertility or birth defects.
Winter Skin Care Tips
There are some simple things you can do to make winter more comfortable for your skin:
- Avoid frequent showers and baths that are too hot. The hot water can strip your skin of its natural oils, causing it to feel dry and itchy.
- Avoid chemical-laden soaps, such as those containing perfumes, alcohol and synthetics. These can cause lots of irritation by drying out the skin.
- Try moisturizing your skin as soon as you step out of the shower or bath. Simply pat yourself dry with a towel, and while the skin is still damp, apply a great natural moisturizer like the one below. Then, let it air dry.
DIY Moisturizer Ingredients
Here is a great DIY moisturizer for dry skin that you can make right at home with just a few ingredients, including coconut oil and the benefit-rich lavender oil. Coconut oil contains saturated fats that help the skin stay moisturized, with the fat preventing moisture loss through the skin’s pores. These fats give the skin a healthy, smooth and even tone.
Lavender oil, meanwhile, possesses natural antimicrobial and antioxidant characteristics that help nourish and protect the skin.
The other ingredients include shea butter, jojoba oil, vitamin E oil and aloe. Ultra moisturizing shea butter can encourage tissue cell regeneration and softening of the skin, which can help to decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Did you know that jojoba oil helps keep your oil levels balanced? That makes it well suited for dry skin conditions. Vitamin E oil is sometimes called the “skin vitamin,” as it boasts excellent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and skin healing properties.Print
Low humidity and dry air can create dry, itchy skin. There are some amazing natural skin care remedies for solving this problem, including this natural moisturizer for dry skin with lavender oil, coconut oil and shea butter.
- 3 ounces cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil
- 15–20 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 ounce shea butter
- 1 ounce jojoba oil
- ½ teaspoon vitamin E oil
- Place ingredients into a mixing bowl. Blend all ingredients using a hand mixer until it is whipped to a light and fluffy consistency.
- Place in glass jar with lid and apply once or twice a day to the skin. If possible, apply to the skin while it is damp to help seal in moisture.
This homemade moisturizer can be stored at room temperature and safely kept for months.
Keywords: DIY moisturizer for dry skin, homemade moisturizer for dry skin