Fibroids are growths of connective tissue that occur in the uterus. Many women experience no symptoms from fibroids, but they can cause heavy periods.
The causes of fibroids include high levels of estrogen and low levels of progesterone due to obesity, hypothyroidism, perimenopause or low-fiber diets.
Correcting your diet is key to any natural fibroid treatment that will also give pain relief and correct the underlying issues.
Top Foods for Fibroids
- Organic foods: Pesticides can affect estrogen and other hormones — therefore, it’s important to choose only organic.
- High-iron foods: Due to the frequency and heaviness of the period caused by fibroids, iron must be replaced. Include high-iron foods like organ meats, grass-fed beef and legumes in your diet.
- Flax, chia and hemp seeds: Flaxseeds can help balance estrogen levels; aim for at least two tablespoons per day.
- Cruciferous vegetables: High in Indole-3-carbinol, cruciferous vegetables can support detoxification of liver and balance estrogen levels.
- Green leafy vegetables: These vegetables are high in vitamin K, which can help with blood clotting and better control menstrual bleeding.
Foods to Avoid
- High fat processed meats: Can increase inflammation levels and may contain additives.
- Conventional dairy products: Non-organic dairy is very high in steroids and other chemicals that can alter hormones.
- Refined sugar: Increases pain and reduces immune function.
- Alcohol: Increases inflammation and reduces immune function.
- Caffeine: Can cause hormonal imbalances.
Top 5 Natural Fibroid Treatments
#1 Vitex (chasteberry) (400mg 2x daily)
Helps balance estrogen/ progesterone ratios.
#2 Fish Oil (1,000mg daily)
Essential fatty acids found in fish oil help reduce inflammation.
#3 B-complex (50 mg daily)
B vitamins are involved in estrogen metabolism.
#4 Progesterone Cream (1/4 teaspoon, days 6-26 of cycle, stop after 3rd m. pregnancy)
Can help balance out low progesterone.
#5 Milk Thistle (150 mg 2x daily)
Aids body in liver detoxification, which can balance hormones.
Essential Oils for Fibroids
The best essential oils for natural fibroid treatment include thyme, clary sage and frankincense. Rub two drops of these essential oils over your lower abdomen two times daily and put two drops of frankincense oil on the roof of your mouth two times daily.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &