All of us get bruised every now and then, from the kids taking a fall while playing to simply bumping into that nightstand … ouch! Bruises can be unsightly, and it can seem to take forever to heal bruises. While having a good diet can truly help with the healing process, using natural home remedies can make an even bigger difference.
I want to share my recommendation for the best DIY bruise cream. Try this and watch that bruise fade away.
Let’s start! If you have double boiler, you can use that or simply place a heat safe dish or jar in a pan of hot water. The key here is that we need to soften the skin-healing shea butter so that we can whip it into a nice texture.
Now, place the jojoba oil and shea butter into the double boiler or your heat safe dish and hot water. Bring it to a point where it is getting soft and stir with a whisk so that you continuously blend well.
Once well, blended, transfer to a small mixing bowl.
Next up, add the arnica oil! Arnica has been used since the 1500s to reduce bruising on the body — and it works due to the helenalin, a natural anti-inflammatory agent, within. Not only does it reduce the discoloration of bruising, but it reduces the pain, too, as arnica is commonly used for sore muscles.
We know we can’t go wrong with unrefined coconut oil. Let’s add this to the mixture, while continuing to blend. Coconut oil is great for helping to remove impurities and toxins from the skin and can help heal any damaged or bruised skin.
Have you heard of comfrey oil? It can do wonders for your bruises due to anti-inflammatory properties it contains. The leaf, root and root-like stem are commonly used to make medicine and has been attributed to its high content of allantoin, a substance that promotes new skin cell growth. Add the comfrey oil and continue to stir. I want to note that there are parts of the comfrey plant that are toxic. While comfrey oil should be just fine, make sure you know what you are buying and use in small amounts.
In the next step we will add the bromelain and bilberry extract. Did you know that bromelain comes from the pineapple? It contains proteolytic enzymes that help reduce the inflammation caused by bruises. For your recipe, just empty the capsule into your mixture. And let’s not forget the amazing bilberry! Bilberry, similar to the blueberry, contains antioxidants that will also reduce the swelling and appearance of bruises.
Now, let’s add some essential oils. Blend the frankincense drops right into the mixture. Frankincense has been used since biblical times and helps reduce pain and inflammation caused by bruising.
Once you have blended these ingredients, slowly add the water and continue to blend well. If you like the mixture thick, simply add less water. Try blending just a little at a time to help get the right consistency. Use as much or as little as you want.
Now that you have blended the ingredients to the consistency that you prefer, transfer the mixture into a glass jar. Use two to three times daily until the bruise has diminished. If you notice any irritation upon use, use less frequently or discontinue use.
You now have an amazing chemical-free bruise cream filled with completely natural ingredients! Depending on how warm it is where you live, you may want to keep it in the refrigerator to help maintain the consistency and just set it out for a few minutes prior to use to allow it soften.
I hope your entire family enjoys the benefits of this useful bruise cream!
Bruise Cream with Arnica & Bilberry
- 1/3 cup jojoba oil
- 1/4 cup arnica oil
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- 3–4 drops comfrey oil
- 1 500 milligram bromelain capsule
- 1 teaspoon bilberry extract
- 10 drops frankincense essential oil
- 1/8–1/4 cup of purified water (based on desired consistency)
- Using a double boiler or a heat safe dish or jar in a pan of hot water, add the jojoba oil and shea butter.
- Whisk to soften the mixture and blend well.
- Once well-blended, transfer to a small mixing bowl.
- Add the arnica oil and blend.
- Add the coconut oil and blend.
- Add the comfrey oil and continue to stir.
- Empty the bromelain capsule into the mixture and stir.
- Add the bilberry extract and frankincense essential oil. Blend well.
- Once you have blended these ingredients, slowly add the water and continue to blend well. Adjust the amount of water to get the consistency you want.
- Transfer the mixture into a glass jar.
- Keep the container in the refrigerator to help maintain the consistency and just set it out for a few minutes prior to use to allow it soften.