The lips are a sensitive area. With a little care, they can maintain beautiful color and shape while soaking in the skin-nurturing vitamins of the best natural ingredients. Using a lip scrub not only nurtures, but it helps minimize, and even eliminate, dry, cracked lips. As we head into cooler months, this is a must-have!
Making your own homemade lip scrub for the best lip exfoliation is super-easy. This DIY lip scrub is perfect for the Fall season. It’s a great gift idea, too! With a bit of a grainy texture combined with moisturizing ingredients and vitamin A-filled pumpkin, you can take great care of your lips.
And if you are concerned about some of the lip scrub recipe getting into your mouth, or swallowing it, no need. This homemade lip scrub is made of ingredients that are quite tasty and edible. Don’t get carried away; this isn’t a snack. But it won’t harm you if you ingest a bit.
Lip Scrub Ingredients
Both coffee and sugar provide the perfect exfoliating texture for a lip scrub recipe. Coffee contains antioxidants while the sugar helps provide a more youthful appearance to the lips due to the natural glycolic acid it contains.
Sugar is also a natural humectant, meaning it delivers some moisture to those lips. Pumpkin is pretty amazing for the skin because it helps promote cell regrowth and it’s high in vitamins A and E. Plus it smooths and brightens the skin.
Nutmeg is a great option, not only for the aroma — which is perfect for the holiday season. But it exhibits strong antifungal and antibacterial activities. In addition, it’s an astringent and anti-inflammatory, treating skin conditions such as eczema.
Shea butter is the perfect final touch. It repairs skin by delivering much-needed collagen.
How to Make a Lip Scrub
A quality DIY lip scrub offers so many nurturing benefits. To make it, place the brown sugar, coffee grounds and pumpkin in a small bowl. Blend well using either a fork or spoon.
Now, add the remaining ingredients: honey, coconut oil, shea butter and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
Stir, pressing down as needed, to make sure all ingredients are well-blended. Now that you have made your lip scrub, transfer it to a small glass jar with a lid. Keeping it in the fridge can help preserve it (for up to a month) — just make sure to label it.
To exfoliate the lips, apply a small amount with a soft toothbrush, washcloth or clean fingertips. Gently massage for about 20 seconds in a circular motion. Rinse and apply lipstick, lip liner, lip gloss or lip balm.Print
Making a DIY lip scrub for the best lip exfoliation is surprisingly easy. This homemade lip scrub with pumpkin and nutmeg is perfect for the Fall season. It’s a great gift idea, too.
- ⅛ cup organic brown sugar
- ⅛ cup used or wet organic coffee grounds
- 2 tablespoons organic canned pumpkin (or homemade pumpkin puree)
- 1 teaspoon local honey (ideally raw)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon shea butter
- nutmeg (just a sprinkle; optional)
- Place the brown sugar, coffee grounds and pumpkin in a small bowl.
- Blend well using either a fork or a spoon.
- Add the remaining ingredients: honey, coconut oil, shea butter and nutmeg.
- Stir, pressing down as needed, to make sure all ingredients are well-blended.
- Transfer the finished product to a small glass jar with a lid. Keep it in the fridge to help preserve it. Ideally, it should be used within a month.
- To use, apply a small amount with a soft toothbrush, washcloth or clean fingertips. Gently massage for about 20 seconds in a circular motion. Rinse and apply lipstick, lip liner, lip gloss or lip balm.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Category: Lip Care
- Method: Blending
Keywords: diy lip scrub, homemade lip scrub