Simple BBQ Salmon Recipe
It happens: you’ve had a crazy busy day and are about to order takeout or heat up a frozen meal you’ve discovered in the freezer. I’ve been there — and that’s why I always keep wild-caught salmon on hand whenever I need a quick, healthy dinner.
Salmon nutrition is loaded with benefits, including omega-3 fats (the good kind!), has more than double the recommended daily value of vitamin B12, and this omega-3 food also tastes great. But the other reason I love it? It cooks so quickly — I’m talking minutes 15 minutes, tops.
This simple BBQ Salmon recipe is one of my favorite ways to prepare salmon. Instead of using a sugary, preservative-laden store-bought sauce, we’ll whip up our own. In no time at all, you’ll have a delicious BBQ salmon, no matter what time of year it is.
We’ll start by heating molasses and butter (or coconut oil) over medium-high heat and let simmer for 2 minutes. The molasses will give the BBQ sauce its characteristic sweetness.
Next, add the fresh ginger and simmer for another 2 minutes. Ginger’s health benefits include its role as a key antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent and right now, it should be smelling terrific!
It’s time to prepare the rest of the sauce. Add in the fresh lime juice, chipotle powder and garlic powder. Don’t worry: The alcohol cooks off, leaving behind a super flavorful BBQ Salmon sauce. Once you’ve added in all the ingredients, reduce the heat to medium.
Let’s get that BBQ Salmon cooking. Add the fillets to the pan, cover ’em up and cook for 3–5 minutes on each side, depending on how thick your fillets are. I’d start checking on them after 3 minutes; you don’t want to overcook the fish.
When each side is cooked and has soaked up all the BBQ sauce goodness, place the fillets on a serving platter. Spoon the sauce left in the pan over each one and serve hot. Yum!
This BBQ Salmon dish comes together in under 15 minutes, so it’s perfect for those busy nights. It’s great served with roasted Sweet Potato Fries or over/beside a simple green salad. You’ll have dinner on the table faster than you can preheat the oven or order a pizza!
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- juice of 4 limes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 4 salmon fillets
- In a sauté pan, heat the molasses and butter over medium-high heat. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger and simmer another 2 minutes.
- Add the lime juice, chipotle powder and garlic powder to the sauce and mix well. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the salmon fillets to the pan, cover, and cook 3–5 minutes each side, depending on thickness.
- Remove the fillets to plates or a serving platter. Pour the remaining sauce over each salmon fillet. Serve hot.