Crispy treats: they sound so cute and friendly and yummy. It’s unfortunate that they’re essentially made of rice, sugar, butter and marshmallows — lots of it.
But what if I told you there was a way to enjoy the dessert guilt-free? Goodbye, rice krispies, hello Quinoa Crispy Treats! This healthified version replaces the rice with protein-rich quinoa and sweetens things up the natural way thanks to healing raw honey. And instead of using gobs of butter, the quinoa crispy bars are held together with almond and sunflower seed butters. Yum!
Not only is this quinoa bar tasty, it’s also the perfect energy bar. It delivers 235 calories per serving, with 24 grams of healthy carbs, 14 grams of healthy fats and 6 grams of protein.
Try this new take on an old treat tonight.
How to Make Quinoa Crispy Bars
Start by lining an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper. In a small pot over very low heat (honey should never be heated up much at all), melt add the coconut oil, honey, almond butter and sunflower seed butter.
Remove the pot from heat once the mixture has melted and sprinkle with the sea salt and cinnamon. Then pour it all into the waiting baking dish.
Stir the puffed quinoa through the almond butter mixture, making sure all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
With a spatula, even out the quinoa crispy mix so it’s all level. Then place the baking pan in the freezer, letting the crispy bar set for 20 minutes or so.
When you’re ready to serve, remove the quinoa crispy bars from the freezer and cut immediately. Serve while still frozen.
These are healthy quinoa bars are delicious and so easy to make. Kids love to help make them — and eat them, of course!
Looking for other healthy snack bars? Try these recipes:Print
This healthy version of rice krispy treats replaces the rice with protein-rich quinoa and sweetens things up the natural way thanks to healing honey. And instead of using gobs of butter, the quinoa crispy treats are held together with almond and sunflower seed butters. Yum!
- 1 cup unsalted almond butter
- ½ cup sunflower seed butter
- ½ cup raw honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups puffed quinoa or millet
- Prepare a 8×8 baking dish by lining it with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small pot at very low heat, melt almond butter, sunbutter, honey and coconut oil.
- Remove from heat and scrap into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in sea salt and cinnamon.
- Add in puffed quinoa and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour mixture into prepared dish.
- Spread out mixture with a spatula to make an even layer in the dish. Freeze for 20 minutes or longer until set.
- When ready to serve, remove from freezer and cut immediately. Serve frozen.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min freeze time
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Freezing
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bar (50g)
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 8.2g
- Sodium: 61mg
- Fat: 13.8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 23.9g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: quinoa crispy treats, quinoa bars