Dips are some of my favorite snacks. They’re great for dipping veggies in, spreading on crackers, using as sandwich spreads or even sneaking a spoonful of solo (I’m guilty of that, too!). I love when you can get a dose of veggies and healthy ingredients in them, too. That’s why this Spinach Artichoke Dip is one of my favorites.
With two bags of vitamin-rich spinach nutrition, protein-packed kefir benefits and delicious artichokes, you’ll get a healthier dip than any kind you order at a restaurant. Ready to make this dip for your next game day? Let’s do it.
How to Make Spinach Artichoke Dip
Start by adding the trimmed spinach to a pot of boiling water. Don’t step away from the stove just yet — you want it to cook for just 30 seconds. After, drain the spinach and rinse with cold water to keep it from continuing to cook. Give it a rough chop and put it aside for now.
While your spinach hangs out, it’s time to get the base of your dip ready. Melt butter in the pan or medium heat; make sure it doesn’t burn! Add your minced onion and garlic (using a food processor will make that step super easy) and season with sea salt.
Stir the onion until it’s soft and translucent. Add flour into the pan, stirring briskly for one minute before adding in your kefir. Stir for another minute before removing the pan from heat.
Return the pan to the stove on medium heat. Add in the cheddar cheese, artichoke hearts and the spinach you set aside earlier, and stir the whole tasty dip until the cheese melts. If you want your dip a bit spicy, this is the time to add in some hot sauce or crushed red pepper.
Now’s the moment you’ve been waiting for. Grab your favorite crackers, veggies and friends and dig in!Print
Dips are some of my favorite snacks, especially when you can get a dose of veggies and healthy ingredients in them. This Spinach Artichoke Dip delivers on all counts.
- 2 bags (10 ounces each) fresh spinach, large stems trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free flour
- 1¼ cups kefir
- 1¼ cups grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup goat milk yogurt
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup artichoke hearts, chopped
- dash of sea salt
- dash of hot sauce or crushed red pepper, optional
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Stir in spinach and cook for 30 seconds. Rinse and drain under cold water and squeeze out excess moisture. Roughly chop spinach and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and season with sea salt. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Add kefir and stir for 1 minute longer.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in Parmesan, yogurt, coconut aminos and lemon juice. Return to heat. Add shredded cheese, artichoke hearts and reserved spinach and stir until cheese melts.
This recipe stores well, so if you have a game day the following day or are throwing a party, feel free to make it a day or so ahead of time.
- Category: Dips, Snacks
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1.3 cups
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 765mg
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 15.6g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Protein: 16.8g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
Keywords: spinach artichoke dip recipe, spinach and artichoke dip
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &