Makes 2–3 sandwiches
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbles
- 6–7 chicken tenders, cooked & shredded
- 3 ounces shaved Pecorino Romano
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 4 slices gluten-free bread
- 1–2 tablespoons butter
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl add avocados, garlic and lemon juice, mixing until well combined.
- Add butter to skillet and once melted, add bread.
- Build sandwich in skillet: on one side add feta cheese and chicken, on other side, add shaved pecorino and tomatoes.
- Remove each sandwich half to a plate after 3–5 minutes, once bread is golden brown on bottom.
- Place avocado spread on one side of grilled cheese. Carefully and quickly bring two sandwich halves together to form your grilled cheese.
Grilled cheeses are pretty darn awesome. But I’m not talking about the processed yellow cheese sandwiches of your youth. This Avocado Grilled Cheese is a totally delicious, grown-up version.
It’s made with two types of cheeses, feta crumbles and Pecorino Romano, decidedly not plain ole American cheese. It’s also super creamy (and full of healthy fats!) thanks to the addition of benefit-rich avocado. And it gets an extra protein boost from the chicken tenders — try my Bacon-Crusted Chicken Tenders for that ingredient.
When you need a lunch or dinner that’s simple to make, tastes amazing and the entire family will love, this avocado grilled cheese is it!
In a high-powered blender, mix avocados, garlic and lemon juice, and purée till smooth. This creamy spread is going to infuse your avocado grilled cheese with a ton of flavor.
Next, melt butter in a pan and add the gluten-free bread slices. On one side, top the bread with the shredded chicken and feta cheese. On the other bread, add the Pecorino Romano cheese and fresh tomato slices.
This avocado grilled cheese looks great already, but it’s about to be even better …
When the bread slices are golden brown on the bottom, about 3–5 minutes, remove the sandwich halves and place them on a plate. Choose a side and spread the avocado mixture all over it. Delicious!
Then, move quickly and carefully and bring the sandwich halves together to avoid spilling (although don’t let that yummy filling go to waste!).
This avocado grilled cheese is great for a simple dinner — just pair with a side salad. You can even omit the chicken if you don’t have any on hand or want to keep this vegetarian, or even replace the chicken with turkey bacon.
Once you try this avocado grilled cheese, you’ll never go back!
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &