Prep & cooking: 30 minutes. Chilling: 3 hours or overnight.
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cup almond flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon raw local honey
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons raw local honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder, sifted together with cocoa
- ½ cup coconut shreds
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 recipe Coconut Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a high-speed blender, blend pecans into coarse meal and place in a bowl. Add almond flour, salt, honey and coconut oil, and mix together thoroughly.
- Press crust mixture into a pie pan and bake for 10 minutes, or until edges start to brown. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter in a double boiler. Stir together, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat coconut milk, salt, honey and vanilla over medium high heat, whisking often. Once mixture starts steaming, add cocoa and arrowroot and whisk vigorously until mixture is smooth and thickened, 2–4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate-butter mixture. Stir to combine, and add coconut shreds.
- Slowly drizzle 1/2 cup of chocolate mixture into egg yolks, whisking constantly so as not to cook yolks. When combined, add this back into the chocolate mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour chocolate filling into pie shell, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle coconut shreds over the pie and top with coconut whipped cream.
I love a good fruit or pumpkin pie. But sometimes, you just need a healthy dose of chocolate. And that’s what you’re getting with this Chocolate Cream Pie recipe.
Coconut ingredients, like coconut oil and coconut milk, are some of my favorites. They add so much nutrition to recipes along with a rich, creamy flavor that’s hard to replicate. If the only chocolate cream pies you’ve eaten before are those packaged single-serving ones, you are in for such a treat!
This chocolate cream pie recipe makes a delicious dessert or a yummy alternative to a birthday cake.
We will begin by preheating the oven to 350 F. Then in a high-powered blender, blend the pecans into a coarse meal and place in a bowl. Into the same bowl, add the almond flour, sea salt, honey and coconut oil and mix it all together. That’s your homemade crust.
Press this mix into a pie pan and bake for 10 minutes or until the edges begin browning. No need to buy pre-made pie crusts again, folks. Let the pie crust cool on a wire rack.
Now let’s get the chocolate going. Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a double boiler, stirring together. Remove from the heat and set aside — we’ll be back.
In a medium pot, add the coconut milk, salt, honey and vanilla over medium heat while whisking. Once it starts steaming, add the cocoa and arrowroot to the mixture. Keep whisking. We want this to be smooth and thick; it should take 2–4 minutes.
Remove the coconut milk mix from the heat and add the choco-butter mix to it. Stir to combine and then add in the coconut shreds, too.
Now, take 1/2 cup of this new chocolate mixture and drizzle it slowly over the egg yolks. You’ll want to whisk constantly while you do this, so the heat from the chocolate doesn’t cook the egg yolks. When the chocolate drizzle and egg yolks are combined, add the whole shebang back to the chocolate mix and stir constantly.
Now, pour the chocolate filling into the pie shell. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight, letting the chocolate cream pie set.
When it’s time to serve, top the whole pie with coconut shreds and coconut whipped cream. While this chocolate cream pie isn’t the easiest dessert you’ll ever make, it just might be the most delicious. I hope you’ll love it as much as I do!
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &