It may seem like vegans would have a difficult time enjoying baking classics without eating eggs, but thankfully, there are more and more sweets that are vegan-friendly, including my vegan chocolate chip cookies.
There’s no cookie more quintessentially American than the chocolate chip cookie, and really, there’s probably none that’s as delicious. That sweet dough studded with little chocolate morsels — it’s hard to resist.
You can dress them up with peanut butter, add in oatmeal or try another bunch of variations, but it’s the classic chocolate chip version that keeps us coming back for more.
There’s only one problem: Most chocolate chip recipes require butter and milk, which is a no-no for vegans. In addition, if you’re eating gluten-free, the white flour used in these recipes presents its own challenge.
That is until now because this vegan chocolate chip cookies recipe is just what the doctor ordered.
What makes this vegan cookie recipe so great? For starters, it doesn’t require any crazy ingredients and just may result in the best vegan chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever make.
The dough is made primarily from your favorite nut butter and gluten-free flour. I used chocolate hazelnut butter, which can be purchased at health food stores, to give these cookies an extra chocolatey flavor, but almond butter works really well, too.
You can make your own version at home, too. I like this Paleo homemade chocolate butter recipe.
For the flour, I go with Paleo baking flour. You can find this at your local grocery store or online easily. It combines several different nut flours and root starches for a gluten-free flour that’s perfect to use in your favorite baking recipes.
These cookies are sweetened naturally with maple syrup, for no sugar crashes later, and given even more fantastic flavor with the addition of vanilla extract. I also use a flax egg in this eggless chocolate chip cookies recipe so it’s suitable for vegans, but feel free to use an egg if you’re not vegan.
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you’re ready to whip up these delicious vegan cookies, let’s get started!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a food processor, add in your choice of nut butter, Paleo flour, maple syrup, flax egg, vanilla extract, sea salt, baking powder, dark chocolate chips and cacao nibs.
This is going to be your (very delicious!) vegan chocolate chip cookie dough.
Look at that chocolate. You can already tell these are going to be good.
Process all the ingredients together until they’ve reached a dough-like consistency. Then chill the dough in the fridge for 20 minutes.
The fun part about these vegan chocolate chip cookies is that, unlike normal ones, you can use cookie cutters to make them into fun shapes! Scoop a tablespoon of dough at a time and shape into cookies — you can do regular circles, but I say it’s time to get creative here.
This is a great step to get the children to help with, too. When you’re done shaping the cookies, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Top the vegan gluten-free chocolate chip cookies with shredded coconut and cacao nibs, and then bake them for 12 minutes.
Let them cool, and enjoy!
Looking for more vegan cookies recipes? Try the following:
- Soft & Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Recipe
- No-Bake Coconut Cookies Recipe
- Edible Cookie Dough Recipe — Paleo, Vegan and Gluten-Free!
- Christmas Spritz Cookies (With Homemade Food Coloring!)
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Want to just eat vegan cookie dough? Try our edible cookie dough recipe!Print
Most chocolate chip recipes require butter and milk, a no-no for vegans. Thankfully this vegan chocolate chip cookies recipe remedies that!
- 1 cup nut butter of choice (I recommend chocolate hazelnut butter)
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup cacao nibs
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips, minimum 70% cacao
- Shredded coconut and extra cacao nibs to top
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, add in chocolate hazelnut butter, Paleo flour blend, maple syrup, flax egg, vanilla extract, sea salt and baking powder.
- Blend until well-combined.
- Add in the cacao nibs and chocolate chips, and pulse 6-8 times or until they are well-dispersed.
- Chill dough for 20 minutes.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the dough, shape into cookies and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Top with shredded coconut and cacao nibs.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- This recipe uses chocolate hazelnut butter, but you can use any nut butter of your choosing, such as almond butter.
- If you aren’t vegan, you can use an egg in place of the flax egg.
- The shredded coconut and extra nibs are optional.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 cookies
- Calories: 289
- Sugar: 10.8g
- Sodium: 104mg
- Fat: 19.9g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 23.5g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: vegan chocolate chip cookies recipe, eggless chocolate chip cookies, vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies, best vegan chocolate chip cookies,