Macaroni and cheese is a comfort food favorite for good reason. It’s hot, it’s cheesy and it’s delicious. But if you’ve ever looked at the ingredients on that famous blue box, you’ll know it’s full of a lot more than pasta and cheese.
And while homemade versions are tasty too, they’re not necessarily healthier — packed with calories, refined carbs and heaps of cheese, they offer little-to-no nutritional benefits. Does that mean you have to give up your favorite food? No way! Instead, let’s give mac and cheese a makeover. Using cauliflower, two types of cheeses packed with goat’s milk benefits and protein-rich kefir, you’ll get a deliciously healthy version of a long-time favorite.
Begin by greasing your pan with ghee, an excellent lactose-free butter alternative. Then, add your chopped cauliflower into a pot of boiling salt water and cook for about 5 minutes or until it’s tender but not overcooked. Drain the cauliflower and pat it down with a cloth or paper towels. Spread it in your pan and let it hang out while you assemble the sauce.
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, throw in the following tasty ingredients: kefir, cottage cheese and mustard. Mix these until the sauce is smooth. Then, add in the cheddar cheese and enjoy the cheesy magic happening before your eyes. Season with sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder and stir until the cheddar just begins melting. You want it to mix smoothly with the other ingredients, not melt completely.
When you’ve reached the melting point, pour the whole cheesy mix over the cauliflower and stir up all that goodness so there’s cheese in every cauliflower floret bite. Got ‘em all covered? Add a little extra cheddar on top for good measure, then slide the whole pan in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese on top is bubbly and light brown.
Then sit back, spoon yourself a heaping serving and enjoy! This is a great recipe to use as a base. Alter the seasonings to your family’s taste — maybe a little cayenne pepper or some rosemary — or add in extra ingredients; I think turkey bacon or finely chopped, sautéed onions would be delicious as well.
From the sound of it, you might think leaky gut only affects the digestive system, but in reality it can affect more. Because Leaky Gut is so common, and such an enigma, I’m offering a free webinar on all things leaky gut. Click here to learn more about the webinar.
Gluten-Free Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 1 large cauliflower head, cut into small florets
- ½-¾ cup kefir
- ½ cup goat's milk cottage cheese, pureed
- 1½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1½ cups grated sheep’s or goat’s milk cheddar cheese, plus additional for topping
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 8” x 8” pan with ghee.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Spread in prepared pan.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, mix together kefir, cottage cheese, and mustard until smooth.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, mix together the cottage cheese, kefir and mustard until smooth
- Stir in cheese, sea salt, black pepper, and garlic powder until cheese just starts to melt. Pour over cauliflower and stir. Top with additional cheese if desired and bake for 10–15 minutes.